Anyone towed a trailer?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Anyone towed a trailer?

Postby Teddy da Bear » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Ok......my zaniest idea yet to date!

I want to tow a trailer! I have purchased a slender "car top" carrier (hard sided of course). I have one of those 4 x 4 foot utility trailer kits like you can buy at Menards. Together they will weigh less than 75 pounds. Unloaded, there is practically no tongue-weight to speak of, But I want to configure a nice looking trailer hitch receiver (the part that attaches to the Helix). I figure I can come down from the frame with some kind of tubing.

I was wondering if anyone else has attempted such an option for their scooter?
Teddy da Bear

Postby slonaker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:59 pm

I have not tried it myself, but I know it has been done. I have seen pics on the internet of a helix towing a canoe on a trailer.

Someone used to sell a hitch, but I can't remember who.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Teddy da Bear » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:09 am

Wow Patrick,

Those pictures would be a great guideline.
If you come across them again, pass them on...

Thanks
Teddy da Bear

Postby redjetrider » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:39 am

Hello Teddt da Bear , Here is a link to some pictures from a gentleman who makes and sells trailers for the Helix . Jim

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ ... rowse/ba83
redjetrider

Yahoo Groups don't work for me!

Postby byeway » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi redjetrider!

I'd love to see that guy's trailer ideas, but I cannot access Yahoo Groups because of security issues.

Does he have a "real" Website? If so - could you please direct me to it?

Thanks and sorry to trouble you! :oops:

Bill
byeway

Postby Teddy da Bear » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks Red,

I wish I could see them or see what is said about them. I am not a member of that discussion group and they don't let you see the pics unless you are. I tried to get approval, but it is not forthcoming.
Teddy da Bear

Here's an example

Postby byeway » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm

There is an example of a "scooter trailer" in the "Scooter Bible" by the Dregni brothers.

I'll put it in my pages:
http://bill.laudeman.com/helix/news/laughs.html

If you do not already have this book, I recommend it for laughs and entertainment, as well as a great review of the history of scooters.

Bill
byeway

Re: Yahoo Groups don't work for me!

Postby slonaker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:40 am

byeway wrote:I'd love to see that guy's trailer ideas, but I cannot access Yahoo Groups because of security issues.

What kind of "secuity issues" exist with Yahoo Groups? I find using it to be annoying (one of the reasons I started this board...), but have never considered it to be a security issue. :)

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Trailer

Postby redjetrider » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:34 pm

We have sent an email to see if he is still doing this ,and will try to send the pictures to patrick .
redjetrider

Postby slonaker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:15 pm

The pics from redjetrider:

Redjetrider-please make sure that the owner of these photos has approved of me posting them. I have watermarked them with the name of my website to help prevent leeching (using my bandwidth to post the pics to another website). I would be happy to add a copyright with his name to the photos (or remove them entirely) if he/she would prefer.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby d0n » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 am

here's what I did for a trailer. It's a cycletote utility trailer. The rubbermaid box fits inside the frame perfectly so it's waterproof storage!
The trailer is light so I had to put a 20lb bag of sand in the bottom to make it ride better when it was empty. I rode 60 mph on the highway a few times with this setup. It was fine.

d0n

Postby slonaker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:59 am

I think I would be worried about the tires on that setup. If they are bicycle tires, as they appear to be, they are not intended for highway speeds. :)

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Teddy da Bear » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Love the closeup of the hitch.

I should be able to figure out where it is hung from.

But in most states I think it is not legal to cover the numbers of
a license plate so it is not readable....
Teddy da Bear

Towing dynamics

Postby byeway » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24 am

The bicycle trailer is obviously not meant for HEAVY freight, but even so, I would be a bit concerned about the force vectors resulting from pulling that far above the scooter's center of gravity, especially at the (already precarious) highway speed mentioned.

Bill (the worrywart?) :lol:
byeway

Postby osalsa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:00 pm

I have a Burley cargo trailer, designed for bicycle use. It is incredibly light, and I have been eyeing it for possible use behind my Helix. The pic several posts previous to this post showing the closeup of the hitch is right on the money, I think. The hitch would have to attach to the lower trunk pipe (rear subframe), and that subframe would have to be beefed up for the purpose. I think some gussets or braces would do the trick. I'm not sure if the wheel bearings on this trailer are sufficient for 50mph speeds, or even if the trailer is too light. But the idea is very intriguing!
osalsa

Next

Return to Honda Helix