Any Honda Reflex owners?

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

Any Honda Reflex owners?

Postby Cincycaddy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Picked up a non running 2001 with 15,000 miles for $875. Battery and fuel and she runs. So any opinions on these?

Electrical Engineer..car geek!
Cincycaddy

Re: Any Honda Reflex owners?

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Wasn't that supposed to be Honda's replacement for the Helix! Still a good buy.
Cruiser

Postby Cincycaddy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Yeah - I think so. Bike sat for a year, wouldn't start with old gas (tank was low too) and old battery. Put fresh fuel in and new battery and after a few tries she started up. Pretty solid bike with Givi topcase and Givi windshield.
Cincycaddy

Postby Cincycaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 am

Initial impression (It's 28 degrees and snowing) is that it's slower than the helix. Much different riding position and I keep trying to stomp the rear brake with my foot. The hand rear brake is going to take some getting used to.
Cincycaddy

Postby slonaker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm

I used to ride with a guy who had one. He had a slightly higher top speed than the two helixes in the group, but we had better acceleration.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cincycaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:28 am

Well I purchased Dr. Pulley sliders and a Honda Big Ruckus Drive face to address the acceleration issue. I also ordered up new pads, Honda OEM drive belt and plan on tuning her up. We'll see if I like her once spring comes. If not, even with performing all the maintenance I'll be able to recoup my investment - well unless gas goes to $.75/gallon. Oil is at $28/barrel today - which has killed scooter prices.
Cincycaddy

Postby Cincycaddy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:02 am

And so she starts - replacing the variator, rollers (sliders), clutch, belt, fuel filter and doing all the fluids. I gotta admit this one is much more of a PITA to work on compared to the Helix. So many panels to take off to access anything.

Cincycaddy

Postby Cincycaddy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:58 am

Sport shield from Tokyo - $24 plus $12 shipping - arrived in 4 days ( I don't get shipments from California that fast or that cheap). While it may not provide the same protection, it looks way better. That GIVI that originally came with the bike is HUGE.
Cincycaddy

Postby zozman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:06 am

Hello. You are one of the few persons that I have seen other than myself who does the right thing when they buy a Honda scooter. Take all the plastic off and see what's really under there. And taking all the plastic off is PITA. Clean up everything. Correct any mistakes. See how many plastic tabs are broken.

You should do the 12K service to the bike as you have already started. Replace variator weight rollers, belt and clutch pads. Usually, the clutch bearings start to whine at 15K miles. Change out all the fluids. Bleed the brake system and add fresh brake fluid. Keep a maintenance log.

The Reflex has front and rear disc brakes unlike the PS250 that has a rear drum. Study what the combination braking system is on your bike. It's a very good system.

A good buy.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby birdmannn101 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 am

That was a good deal on the Reflex Chris. I found a 2005 Reflex that the owner will trade me for a C100 Clone restore job that I have $1000 in. The front panels are all busted up, including headlights and the title is tied up in court till he pays off his delinquent child support. Been looking around for panels which are hard to find and wondering if this deal is a good one when I am done with the Reflex restore.
birdmannn101

Postby Cincycaddy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 am

birdmannn101 wrote:That was a good deal on the Reflex Chris. I found a 2005 Reflex that the owner will trade me for a C100 Clone restore job that I have $1000 in. The front panels are all busted up, including headlights and the title is tied up in court till he pays off his delinquent child support. Been looking around for panels which are hard to find and wondering if this deal is a good one when I am done with the Reflex restore.

I actually just sold this bike for $1450. I could have gotten more if I waited for Spring but I made a $150 or so on the bike as I fully serviced it and planned on keeping it but I got it running and it's off to a happy home.

As far as the plastics go, they can be salvaged if they aren't too bad. I used http://www.plastex.net/ to repair 3 or for areas on the bike and then ordered up aerosol base coat/clear coat and rattle canned the side panels and front fender. I'm having trouble getting the photos to post here as they are too big, but I'll PM you and send you a link to the album.

Chris.
Cincycaddy

Return to Other Scooters