Easy wiring question

Brands, pricing, parts, reviews etcetera

Easy wiring question

Postby datamancer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi folks, first post. Looks like a great forum.

I bought a CF Moto Fashion a few weeks back that was in great shape mechanically, but really poor shape cosmetically, so I decided to make a stripped-down "chopper" style scooter out of it. I had to unhook all of my gauge wires during disassembly and make a custom bracket to hold the gauge cluster. I'm hooking everything back up now and have most of the wires in place, but there are a few left over that I hoped you could help me with.
The big main terminating block was easy once I realized that each row was shorted together, so I just matched wire colors on different rows and plugged the long, skinny wire connectors back in. I then proceeded to match all the barrel plug connectors, like color to like color, but there are a few left over. I have:

a male black wire with white stripe
a male green wire with black stripe
a female solid green
a female white with black stripe
a female solid white
a female pale blue with white stripe

I don't remember if I had any empty sockets dangling when I took it apart (and forgot to take photos), but a few of those, especially the two males, seem important.

Any ideas what goes to what?
Thanks!
-Doc
datamancer

Postby rowdyc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 am

Have you looked in the Fashion manual. Page 37 has a clearer electrical diagram then the Helix manual. It may or may not be complete but it does give wire colors.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxEfEfQRx2FjeG5kT2kzVGpTNkE
rowdyc

Postby datamancer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks! I have a Fashion manual, but it's terrible. It's the "172 mm Engine Manual" and is very blurry and I couldn't read the diagrams. This one is much better.
datamancer

Postby millican » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Do you have a multimeter? You could check for resistance between points to see where they go if you can't visually trace them out. What is this terminating block exactly? If they're all shorted out together, it may be a ground that's shared.
millican

Re: Easy wiring question

Postby slonaker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 pm

datamancer wrote:Hi folks, first post. Looks like a great forum.

Thanks! I hope you find it helpful. I poked around your site a bit as well. I love the stuff you build.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Re: Easy wiring question

Postby datamancer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:43 pm

slonaker wrote:
datamancer wrote:Hi folks, first post. Looks like a great forum.

Thanks! I hope you find it helpful. I poked around your site a bit as well. I love the stuff you build.

Patrick

Thanks! I appreciate the compliments.

It will probably be a day or two before I get a chance to mess with the wiring again, but I'll report back.

The bike runs pretty well but I still have a stalling problem on idle.
I've been doing a little overhaul as I go though, so I'm sure I'll fix the problem accidentally eventually.
So far I've replaced I've replaced the spark plug, changed the oil, cleaned the air box filter, cleaned the carb, shined up the valve needle, moved the radiator behind the front wheel, ran all new coolant lines, and flushed the cooling system.

The only remaining suspects are bad gas or a vacuum leak. I'll have to check out the intake boot and replace all of my vacuum hoses

Wish me luck!
-Doc
datamancer

Postby datamancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm

ok, here's the wiring block I mentioned.

The problem isn't the block though, I'm pretty sure I have that all hooked-up properly. It's the barrel connectors I'm not sure of (like that black one with the stripe off to the right). I also noticed that my speedometer backlight isn't working so one of these must be a ground for that or something. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the diagrams yet...maybe tonight.

-Doc
datamancer

Return to Helix Clones