Veteran Helix owner with a scooter addiction

An optional place for members to tell us about themselves

Veteran Helix owner with a scooter addiction

Postby Charliesgarage » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 am

One of my earliest memories is standing on the floorboard gripping the shield of an Italian scooter as my mom drove us on brick streets to go shopping in Dodge City ks. Wow! I was hooked. When Honda released the Elite I bought it for my wife. I soon sold my SR500 Yamaha and bought (her) the first Helix I saw. It was brilliant. A Low Rider BarcaLounger with space aged styling. It did everything well and had a cool digital dashboard! Later I bought her a 94 and customized it with a studded fringed seat and bags, fringed grips and mudflaps with a tag that read "Hardly". Instant biker babe.
In 2010 I rescued a stolen trashed 86 Helix with the idea of fulfilling a childhood fantasy. Building my very own Rocketship. I had collected vintage streamlined appliances of the 1940s you know back when everything, even toasters and vacuums were aerodynamic. I put togerter bits and pieces until I had my very own steampunk, Buck Rogers Spaceship " The Extraordinary Retro Rocketbike"
It consists of a Vornado fan, 2 Kenmore Commander Vacuums, a David Bradley Tractor body, a Homart window Fan, Deco wheel pants and an aircraft Spinner. Strangely, it improved the handing and feel of the Helix as well as the psychological effect of putting your legs inside the body has on the 12 year olds pleasure centers! 6 years I've ridden it and it still makes me grin like a kid!
I joined the ArtCar community and have travelled to parades and events from Houston to Omaha and even Colorado.
Usually, modifying means unintended problems. The extra weight and girth makes it feel very big and solid. It blew out the right rear shock right away but, a Showa VHT from a CB500 fixed that! (Thanks R.Pozzi) The Stock Helix has an unsettling body movement at hiway speeds in crosswinds. Down low, It feels like the wheels want to slip out from underneath you. My quasi-aerodynamic body has cured that. If anything it reacts more a motorcycle where you feel the wind up high like it's trying to blow you over.
Modifying cheap vehicles is a long standing American tradition. Just look at all the crazy VWs out there. I love all of the Helix's I've seed pimped out. Everything from StarWars to a Tardis, Ruckus clones to hard tops. I say "bring it on"! And show me yours!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oOs8Iib1FDyeZdv92
Last edited by Charliesgarage on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charliesgarage

Re: Veteran Helix owner with a scooter addiction

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:36 pm

NO picture? I had a problem similar with Photobucket last week!
I like to refer to the Helix as the VW of the scooter world! :D
Cruiser

Re: Veteran Helix owner with a scooter addiction

Postby Charliesgarage » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Here's a link for pictures. I can't seem to make the img transfer work
https://photos.app.goo.gl/t0Nuu9JgnAxNmC973
Charliesgarage

Return to Introductions