Another Helix to play with

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Another Helix to play with

Postby BOF-UK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 am

Hi All,
Having sold my Helix it's been a few years since I last posted, well I have been and bought another one, the condition was not wonderful but it was relatively cheap. My idea was to do a complete strip down, sort out any problems that I may unearth, clean and repaint and then decide on the final colour for the bodywork.

As found

As is

There is still some way to go, most of the bolts were seized, there were quite a few screws missing and I had to saw the bottom bolt off to remove the silencer (looked OK but rusted out at the rear).
I will post at the next stage
All the best
BOF-UK

Re: Another Helix to play with

Postby birdmannn101 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am

Looking good. If you need any parts I have a 87 parts bike I am selling parts off of.
birdmannn101

Postby AlabamaCB750 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 pm

I love to see someone saving another helix and making it nice again! Great work on the tear down! :D
AlabamaCB750

Postby BOF-UK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 am

Just an update, no pics
Removed the wheels, side stand, main stand, swing arm, bottom tray and fuel tank, these will go for shot blasting and powder coating, the problem area is trying to remove the crankcase cover.
All the best
BOF-UK

Postby BOF-UK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 am

Just another update:
The whole of the frame has now been painted, I can now put the petrol tank back in and then the under-tray, it's a shame no one will see the result when all the panels are replaced. I did manage to remove the crankcase cover without damage, this will now go to the paint shop along with all the panels.
The wheels are still at the powder coaters when returned new tyres will be fitted, I have replaced both front brake pads and rear brake shoes.
I will post pics when the wheels and tyres are fitted.
BOF-UK

Postby zozman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 am

BOF-UK wrote:Just another update:
The whole of the frame has now been painted, I can now put the petrol tank back in and then the under-tray, it's a shame no one will see the result when all the panels are replaced. I did manage to remove the crankcase cover without damage, this will now go to the paint shop along with all the panels.
The wheels are still at the powder coaters when returned new tyres will be fitted, I have replaced both front brake pads and rear brake shoes.
I will post pics when the wheels and tyres are fitted.

Was there a white poly-cover tank insulator on top of your gas tank on your 1987 Helix? Mine was missing but the prevoius owner said he removed the gas tank to have the inside seal coated. It may not have been installed afterwards. He didn't remember. There's one there now. The Honda parts locater indicates there should be an insulator for all the years of the Helix. A little pricey at $97 USD. I found one on ebay.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby BOF-UK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 am

Hi,
No insulator just the retainer, the manual shows no cover (the model year is 1990).
BOF-UK

Postby BOF-UK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am

Update:
Hopefully pics have loaded, wheels powder coated fitted with new Bridgestone tyres, center and side stand powder coated, next post pics to show a rolling helix.

Before
After
BOF-UK

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

Nice! 8) I need to do this!
Cruiser

Postby BOF-UK » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Hello All,
Latest update: I will try to post the old and new pictures.
Before
After
Before
After

Still some way to go, I shall reconnect everything up and try a test ride, before putting all the panels back on, the silencer (muffler) has been re welded but needs a new bolt on the exhaust manifold.
I have decided on the new colours, but may use it as is for a short time. Legal lights will be fitted.
BOF-UK

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Looking good!
Cruiser

Postby BOF-UK » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 am

Update:
I connected all the ancillaries, fuel, lights, silencer, put on a fully charged battery turned the key and with a little hesitation it started, I left it running until it settled to a nice tick over, plenty of smoke coming off the silencer but that was just the new paint slowly cooking.
Things I found, the display showed that all the lights were working except the fuel level was not moving off one bar, added more fuel still no change, looks like I will have to inspect the tank sender, I also had the job of sorting out the rear light cluster, when I had stripped it down I noticed lots of Scotch clips with the wire connections either cut or going to nowhere.
Renewed wires were necessary and added two proper connectors for a high brake light, the bonus of a strip down is that somethings you can check whilst they are still off the bike. I have decided that I will not ride it as is (naked) but will wait for the panels which unfortunately will not be until the beginning of September.

May I ask as anyone stripped the display unit, I need to replace the plastic screen (usual scratches), I did try the sanding method as others have suggested but maybe I was too heavy handed and caused the interior side of the plastic to go all milky.
That's it until the panels appear.
BOF-UK

Postby birdmannn101 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 am

BOF-UK wrote:Things I found, the display showed that all the lights were working except the fuel level was not moving off one bar, added more fuel still no change, looks like I will have to inspect the tank sender,

I found on 2 bikes that not only was the fuel sending unit not working but the tanks were rusted as well. It seems that by not keeping the metal tanks full they rust. You might drain the fuel via the drain plug under the rear of the tank to check it for rust. Just make sure that you buy a
WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (12MM) Part#94109-12000 from Honda for 66 cents or the tank will leak when you screw the plug back in.
birdmannn101

Postby Rafe Hollister » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:01 am

I'm a new Helix owner and have been looking for pictures with body work off. These are the best! Thanks.
Rafe Hollister

Postby BOF-UK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am

Hi all,
Decided to remove the display unit, removed the headlamp (only 3 bolts) put it to one side, this allows access to the small screws that hold the back of the display unit to the front, also easy to remove the speedo cable. There is no need to remove the screws holding the speedo drive unit, you could do this later when the back is removed if you need further access, you will also need to pull out the warning lights (just pull they come out easily). Once the screws are removed the two halves separate, I made sure I had a piece of cardboard across the gap where the headlight usually sits and placed the whole display unit on that.
This what it looks like when the back is removed
The reason for taking it apart

I will try sanding once again, if no luck then I shall cut out the window and replace with a light tinted plastic.
BOF-UK

Next

Return to Honda Helix