My first Helix ...

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

My first Helix ...

Postby Dale Gribble » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:45 am

1986 , 28k miles , got a great deal on it after looking at a couple other helixes and a clone (aak!) . Added a Bluetooth stereo with 3.5" Memphis speakers . Replaced bystarter and intake so far , going to tackle the exhaust gaskets next week sometime . Likes to run around 55-60mph but has been up to 72 like riding an expensive couch .... Don't know about the fuel or temp , the bars light up during test , but don't seem to function beyond that . No biggie , guess it's a winter project ...

Dale Gribble

Re: My first Helix ...

Postby birdmannn101 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 am

Dale Gribble wrote:Don't know about the fuel or temp , the bars light up during test , but don't seem to function beyond that . No biggie , guess it's a winter project ...

Sounds like the tank is rusted along with the fuel sending unit.
birdmannn101

Postby slonaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 pm

It looks just like mine. I guess you moved away from Arlen... :mrgreen:

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Dale Gribble » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 am

birdmannn101 wrote:
Dale Gribble wrote:Don't know about the fuel or temp , the bars light up during test , but don't seem to function beyond that . No biggie , guess it's a winter project ...

Sounds like the tank is rusted along with the fuel sending unit.

Tank is shiny and clean inside . I figure there's a loose connection or something .... Not too worried at this point . Want to enjoy the last few weeks of riding weather and then I'll pull it into the shop (living room, the elite and express are taking up the shed ) and break it down for maintence . Thinking new belt , all new filters , antifreeze and oil change plus all the little odds and ends it needs .(paint, cough cough ) .. Want to be ready for world of wheels in February ...
Dale Gribble

Postby Dale Gribble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 pm

I attempted the exhaust gasket repair today .. doesn't seem as if there was ever a gasket there in the first place (was a super press fit ) and after trying to pound the gasket in without success, I have given up ... The gasket does not fit over the stem coming off of the head and it does not fit inside of the slip pipe on the muffler .... Even my service manual doesn't show where the hell it supposed to go ... Time for a drink
Dale Gribble

Postby charlie55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Dale Gribble wrote:Image

I attempted the exhaust gasket repair today .. doesn't seem as if there was ever a gasket there in the first place (was a super press fit ) and after trying to pound the gasket in without success, I have given up ... The gasket does not fit over the stem coming off of the head and it does not fit inside of the slip pipe on the muffler .... Even my service manual doesn't show where the hell it supposed to go ... Time for a drink

Was your replacement gasket Honda OEM or aftermarket? Sometimes the latter can be a bit off in the dimensions department.

If you haven't already found it, here's a thread that provides some helpful info about the satanic rituals involved in replacing that gasket without physical or psychological damage:

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3638&p=27521&hilit=gasket#p27521
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby wilsongj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 am

Exhaust gasket, I gave up, I ended up using the old gasket with liberal packing with a product we get in Europe called Gun Gum (manufactured by Holts) it is like a very high temp resistant filler. I used it the other day after a new tyre was fitted. Best of luck!
wilsongj

Postby blipco » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 pm

You must buy the Honda part. The eBay ones won't fit. Once you order the OEM part, before you install it into the muffler you must first make sure you've scraped all remnants of the old one out. They disappear with age and use but using a sharp screwdriver will get the bits out that may look like the metal of the pipe.

Then you must gently spread the four fingers on the muffler pipe then jam a socket or a properly sized wooden dowel into the pipe to reshape it or the new gasket will not fit. It'll just break.
You'll know you did it right when the gasket easily fits snugly all the way into the muffler without force.

And be gentle spreading those fingers or they'll break, don't ask me how I know. Heating the fingers with a blow torch helps.
blipco

Postby Cruiser » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am

wilsongj wrote:Exhaust gasket, I gave up, I ended up using the old gasket with liberal packing with a product we get in Europe called Gun Gum (manufactured by Holts) it is like a very high temp resistant filler. I used it the other day after a new tyre was fitted. Best of luck!

Interesting. Searched for Holts Gun Gum.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hsp ... pfocus1_cr
Cruiser

Postby Dale Gribble » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 am

I ended up using that gasket that was there (super compressed to the manifold) and replacing the band clamp at the muffler with one from the bmw dealer (5 bucks and no waiting vs. 20$ and 2 weeks ) , while not super quiet , it's not backfiring anymore . I noticed while I had the muffler off that the previous owner had cut a window approx 3x4" and welded it back up . I suspect it's hollowed out and contributing to the louder than stock sound .
Dale Gribble

Postby Teddy da Bear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 am

My muffler is FULL of the remnants of past exhaust gaskets!

I've cut my own gaskets with 600 degree rated gasket material.
They too burned up in short time.

I got sick of this situation long ago! I welded the two pieces together!
:lol:
2005 Helix
Teddy da Bear

Postby Cruiser » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 am

Dale Gribble wrote:I ended up using that gasket that was there (super compressed to the manifold) and replacing the band clamp at the muffler with one from the bmw dealer (5 bucks and no waiting vs. 20$ and 2 weeks ) , while not super quiet , it's not backfiring anymore . I noticed while I had the muffler off that the previous owner had cut a window approx 3x4" and welded it back up . I suspect it's hollowed out and contributing to the louder than stock sound .

I have a muffler that has lots of loose parts in it. Only notice when i change tire!
I had a photo on Photobucket but they won't let me share it. There are several chambers inside it with connecting tubes.
I have heard of guy that will cut a window to remove the loose parts. As long as it doesn't rattle when back on the Helix I won't mess with it.
Cruiser

Postby blipco » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Clockman has a post describing the internals of the Helix muffler.
blipco

Postby Rafe Hollister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Where/how do I find Clockman's post?
Rafe Hollister

Postby zozman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:34 am

Rafe Hollister wrote:Where/how do I find Clockman's post?

How do I search for members?
Visit to the “Members” page and click the “Find a member” link. Then click on posts.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Next

Return to Honda Helix