Helix Directional Flasher removal problems

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Helix Directional Flasher removal problems

Postby OBUS44 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Guys

Due to hearing issues (thanks to the US Army) I don't hear the existing flasher clicking after I turn a corner and I sometimes forget to turn it off right away.

I am replacing it with one that beeps rather than clicks.

However, I cannot seem to get the original flasher up and out of the dash area. I don't see anything in the shop manual. I removed the access panel, then I wiggled the black rubber outer sleeve that is tightly on the flasher, off the steel tab....... but I cant get the connector wires off and I hesitate to pull to hard on the cables. Any experience/suggestions out there?

Not a lot of room in there for my hand either. I certainly do not want to remove all the plastic in that area to access this item.

Dennis O
OBUS44

Re: Helix Directional Flasher removal problems

Postby OBUS44 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm

OK, I found the special clip and got the original Honda Helix directional flasher relay out today. However, the relay is special and not the usual 2 flat push pin type relay. It is a 3 wire very unusual connection. Has anyone ever found a beeping/buzzing replacement for this "click only" relay. The Helix is now under cover in the drive in basement here until spring so I can replace this device at any time if I find a replacement. Any help out there?

Dennis
OBUS44

Postby birdmannn101 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 am

Dennis, I use these flashing LED lights on my VTX1300. They flash back in to the windshield and remind you that your turn signals are still on. You might find them on Google and they might work on your Helix. I just got used to pressing the turn signal switch button to turn them off right after making my turn. Hope you find something that works for you.

95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby GrahamH » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Another way would be to run a wire cut in to left and right indicators wires, each through a diode, to a relay. The relay could then be used to switch any type of buzzer or warning light. There should be an auxiliary socket under the maintenance cover to pick up power for the buzzer. You would not need to change the flasher unit.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby charlie55 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:10 pm

OK, referring to the wire colors on the relay connector:

Black/Brown = Fused 12V.
Green = Ground
Gray = Flasher

The 12V and ground wire connections are what you'd expect, and the gray wire connects to your turn signal thumb switch. Moving the switch to either position brings the internal flashing circuit of the relay into series with the appropriate front and rear turn signals, and also the appropriate indicator on the dash.

The only oddity I see is that while most 3-prong signal relays have a 12V and flasher connection, the third pin is used to power a signal indicator (pilot) on the dash. That's the kind of setup where there's just one indicator on the dash that will only tell you that your turn signal is on, but not which one. So in that case there would be a bulb of some sort between that third pin and ground (otherwise it'd be a dead short). On the Helix, that third pin does go directly to ground, so it must have some sort of internal resistance, or it's just a protective ground not actually in the flasher circuit itself.

All that said (sorry for the rambling), you'll want a 3-pin relay in which the "ground" wire is really meant to be connected to ground, and not to a pilot lamp in the dash. I'll poke around the web and see if I can find something. However, getting an aftermarket one that mates with a Honda connector might not be possible, and you may have to do some cuttin' and splicin'.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby charlie55 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

OK, I think we're in business, but first the bad news.....

1 - I've gone over the wiring diagram and am 100% certain that the wires in the connector are as I previously stated: black/brown = 12V, green = ground, and gray = flasher output.

2 - Virtually every 3-pin flasher that I can find has the 12V and flasher output pins, but the third pin,instead of going directly to ground, goes to a pilot indicator light. If you were to try to use one of these on the Helix, you'd either fry the flasher or blow its fuse because it relies on the resistance of the pilot light to prevent a dead short.

3 - I cannot find any flasher of any type that would fit the connector.

And now the good news.....

You should be able to use a 2-pin flasher without any problems. The pins on these flashers are for 12V and flasher output, with no connection to ground. So what you'd need to do is splice into the black/brown and gray connector wires, crimp on a couple of spade lugs, and connect them to the new flasher. Typically, the pins on these flashers are marked "B" (for "battery" or 12V) and "L" (for load/lamp).

Now as for having that audible feature, you're in luck. There are quite a few 2-pin flashers that include a beeper or buzzer. For example, here are two from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-12V-2-Pin-Motorcycle-Turn-Signal-Light-Indicator-Flasher-Blinker-Relay-Beeper/983739131?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9003684&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=983739131&wl13=&veh=sem#read-more

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-Motoecycle-Motorbike-Indicator-Relay-Flasher-Blue-2-Pin-12V-Beeper/227629331?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=15511&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9003684&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=118786637&wl11=online&wl12=227629331&wl13=&veh=sem

Personally, I'd try the cheap one first, and only jumper it into the connector temporarily to make sure it works before making any permanent splices.

And, not much to worry about in any case - the flasher circuit is fuse-protected so you really can't do any harm.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby birdmannn101 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 am

Well, you know that Charlie55 and GrahamH have some really good ideas on how to fix your problem which I can understand but some people don't have an electrical background to help them understand what the heck they are talking about. Pictures always worked for me guys.
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby charlie55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:45 pm

birdmannn101 wrote:Well, you know that Charlie55 and GrahamH have some really good ideas on how to fix your problem which I can understand but some people don't have an electrical background to help them understand what the heck they are talking about. Pictures always worked for me guys.

OK, I only have the wiring diagram from the manual to go by, so the relative position of the wires in the connector may be different from what is shown below. And now, a perfect example of why the nun who taught art class at my grammar school became an atheist.....

You're basically just going to remove the original flasher and splice the 12V and flasher output lines to the new unit. The new unit doesn't use a ground connection, so that wire can be left as is. Doing it this way leaves the connector intact in case you decide to revert to the original flasher.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby OBUS44 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help and tips and the drawing. As I am able to read an elementary electrical drawing I took your information and removed the plastic covers on the handlebars and spliced into the wires as they run up to the directional signal switch.

I could not reach the wires by the original plug and I didn't want to remove ALL the front plastic to get at them so I went the route explained above. The original plug and wires are on a short loom and I can barely reach the plug much less get at the wires to splice there.

The 2 plug relay beeps quite loudly and so I am satisfied with the installation.

I got it off Amazon for about 6 bucks, free shipping/no tax (YES ! ! ! )

Dennis O
OBUS44

Return to Honda Helix