Show us your Accessory Brake Light

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Show us your Accessory Brake Light

Postby CarCynic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

(I was going to write "Show us your Rear End", but I figured I'll be safe. I don't know the crowd here yet. ;) )

I just bought a used 2005 Helix.

Our interest in scooters was not the only thing the previous owner and I have in common.

He added additional red LED strips to the trunk (boot) lid.

I've added at least a license plate frame with extra brake light to every bike I've had since the invention of the high-brightness LED.

He (smartly) added one strip connected to the running lights, and another one above it connected to the brake light.

The problem is that he used cheap (probably Walmart) LED stick-on strips. They are 9" long, and only have about eight tiny LED's.

Also, the Florida sun has deteriorated them. Most of the LED's no longer work, they are basically disintegrating, and peeling off. They must be replaced -- for safety -- of my image.

I know of the "spoiler" with brake light that is made for this scooter, but they are expensive, and I would need to drill more holes in my scooter, plus fill the ones in the boot lid.

Obviously, license plate frames with brake lights won't really solve the problem on this machine.

I also used to do Drone Racing, and if you have ever watched "Drone Racing League" on TV, you will see that they put bright LED strips all over everything, so I have a pretty good ideal of what is out there, and how to wire them up, but I just wanted to see other people's solutions.

"Spoilers" with lights?
Car 3rd brake light on top of the trunk?
Strips?

OK to provide links to products instead of pictures.

Thanks.
05 Helix
CarCynic

Re: Show us your Accessory Brake Light

Postby millican » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 pm

There are three LEDs and two drivers in here. One LED is on all the time. All three light up with the brake. Cramming all that in there was the only challenge. It has held up for a few years now. The other light is from a salvage yard as the Helix lights are noticeably low without the body panels on. Dang. Something else I haven't gotten around to replacing yet.
millican

Postby CarCynic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 pm

So here is what I ended up doing:

I purchased one of these from my local Walmart:

I cut off the last 3 lights, opened the (very cheap) plastic housings, and soldered them end-to-end, so there is almost no wire between them.
I also cut off the "ears" so that they would fit close together.

Note that this also does away with the little module.

I put the three modules in a row on the center of the trunk lid, just under the Honda logo, and connected them as the previous owner had.

They really are not any brighter than just an LED strip, but at least they have better protection from the sun/rain.

I then used clear caulk between them, and on the ends, as they are not really sealed from the factory.

For now, the other partially deteriorated, and partially functioning LED strip that the previous owner installed is still there/connected as a running light. I am not sure if I am going to install 3 more of these modules as a running light, or what. I would prefer to have a distinct brake light, that does not have an always-on running light anywhere near it. I may just remove the running light LED strip, and go with just a brake light.

Each module will work full brightness if wired to 12V without the module, so there are all kinds of creative things you could do with them.
05 Helix
CarCynic

Postby millican » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice. A light of some sort on the trunk is definitely a good idea given how low the stock Helix lights are.
millican

Postby GrahamH » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 am

An extra high level light is probably a good idea but I have yet to see one that did not spoil the look of Helix......so this is what I did. I used an LED bulb, not sure if an old style bulb would get too hot under the plastic.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby Cruiser » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I like it, I often thought that would be a great location behind the vents!
Cruiser

Postby Dale Gribble » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm

GrahamH wrote:An extra high level light is probably a good idea but I have yet to see one that did not spoil the look of Helix......so this is what I did. I used an LED bulb, not sure if an old style bulb would get too hot under the plastic.

GrahamH

Completely stealing this idea ! How does it wire up ? Simple splice to the brake harness and a ground to the frame ??
Dale Gribble

Postby GrahamH » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes, connect to the wires on the left side to brake and tail light + an earth, I used scotch-locks. I think it is important to use a LED bulb so as not to get too hot for the plastic. The only thing I would do differently is to fit two lamps side by side. Also I found the LED bulb was too long for the lamp unit so I had to machine up an extender piece to fit it, moral is to check the bulb will fit before buying the lamp.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby 520eek » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Got a rectangle led on a luggage rack that is tucked under a pelican case that I use for storage.

I'm not sure how to get a pic here though.

If you are checking out scooter cannonball stuff this year you might see me and the wife. We will be on two black 94's with same set up!

!
520eek

Return to Honda Helix