Backfiring and wont idle (SOLVED)

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Backfiring and wont idle (SOLVED)

Postby pyrate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 am

Cleaned the jets and the bowl and it runs fine.

Nowhere near as daunting as i thought it would be. I set aside the entire day to do it. Turns out it only took 2 hours from start to finish.
I do now have a metallic vibration coming from the rear muffler side.
I took a quick look and discovered that the bolt that holds the rear end assembly to the frame has unscrewed itself about 4 turns. After the muffler cools down i will tighten it and check the muffler gasket.

Right now I'm headed to the beach to do some surf fishing
pyrate

Re: Backfiring and wont idle (SOLVED)

Postby pyrate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Too windy to surf fish so I came home and took the side off the bike to look at the loose bolt. It was badly worn so I rode my bicycle to Home Depot and found a Bolt suitable but an inch too long. Got a lock washer and a nut for it. I now have it bolted, and extra lock washer and another nut on it. I dont think I'll have a problem with it again. While I was in there I was able to get about 5 more turns on the muffler clamp too.
Quiet as a church mouse now.
pyrate

Re: Backfiring and wont idle (SOLVED)

Postby pyrate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm

HOT TIP

If you feel like your bike is not sitting completely vertical when you are riding or if you feel you're not tracking straight...Check those rear suspension bolts. for the last several weeks I felt like my bike was not riding vertical. .That bolt unscrewed itself to the point where the threads were worn off. There was a solid inch of separation between the frame and the rear suspension. That could have been a disaster for me. I hope this doesnt happen again.
pyrate

Return to Honda Helix