86 Helix, Non functioning fuel gauge with flashing reserve.

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

86 Helix, Non functioning fuel gauge with flashing reserve.

Postby pcdj64 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 pm

I have a bad fuel gauge that flashes the one red bar for reserve even with a full tank.
i replaced the sending unit with a new one that tests ok on an ohm meter and that did not help.
if i short the center wire with the right side wire on the plug to the cluster the gauge will read full.
i tried a used sending unit and the current new one and both showed readings on the meter.
the used sending unit had come from a helix with a working gauge.
aside from this issue everything else on the cluster works fine and the scooter runs 100%
ohms from the green wire to the white and yellow wire is .125 full and 143 empty with the meter set at 2k.
pcdj64

Re: 86 Helix, Non functioning fuel gauge with flashing reser

Postby zozman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 pm

This happened to me also.

My 1987 was stored for 30 years. The fuel gauge showed flashing red low fuel when full of gas. I removed all the plastic and removed the fuel tank. The fuel tank was pristine outside and no rust inside. However, the fuel sending unit was heavily rusted and corroded. Looks like the previous owner messed with it. I don't know why as the scooter only had 1500 miles on it. I ordered a new Helix fuel sending unit and installed it. I put the tank back in and closed every thing up. I went to check the speedo gauge fuel level and it showed red low fuel with a full tank of gas again.

Taking it back apart, I discovered that the fuel sending unit needs to be positioned carefully where the float cylinder that is inside the gas tank does not touch nor is hindered by the gas tank support bracket inside the tank. With the ignition on and a long plastic tool, I raised the float arm so as it cleared the tank support bracket then nutted it down. My issue was resolved. I hope this will help resolve yours.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby pcdj64 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 am

zozman wrote:This happened to me also.

My 1987 was stored for 30 years. The fuel gauge showed flashing red low fuel when full of gas. I removed all the plastic and removed the fuel tank. The fuel tank was pristine outside and no rust inside. However, the fuel sending unit was heavily rusted and corroded. Looks like the previous owner messed with it. I don't know why as the scooter only had 1500 miles on it. I ordered a new Helix fuel sending unit and installed it. I put the tank back in and closed every thing up. I went to check the speedo gauge fuel level and it showed red low fuel with a full tank of gas again.

Taking it back apart, I discovered that the fuel sending unit needs to be positioned carefully where the float cylinder that is inside the gas tank does not touch nor is hindered by the gas tank support bracket inside the tank. With the ignition on and a long plastic tool, I raised the float arm so as it cleared the tank support bracket then nutted it down. My issue was resolved. I hope this will help resolve yours.

zoz

thank you for the reply.
i installed it into a full tank so the float was at the highest position when i mounted the unit, i saw the arm rise when i was putting it in.
moving the float up and down outside of the tank does not affect the gauge.
pcdj64

Postby zozman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:07 pm

When you first turn on the ignition switch and the speedometer numbers climb to 199, do you see all the bars for the fuel gauge?

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby pcdj64 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 pm

zozman wrote:When you first turn on the ignition switch and the speedometer numbers climb to 199, do you see all the bars for the fuel gauge?

zoz

Yes, all of the bars show when ignition switch is first turned on, then goes to 1 red and then the red flashes for reserve.
only thing i can think of is the used unit and the new one are both made in china universal and not genuine honda.
the resistance is more than likely way too high to allow the gauge to react since less resistance moves it to full (shorting 2 of the wires on the 3 wire plug)
what i did today is i ordered a genuine honda sending unit for $57 with shipping and it will arrive soon.
since the gauge does react to shorting the 2 wires by climbing to full i can rule out a bad plug, harness or gauge.
buying a cheap chinese universal part only created more work for me and cost me more money.
pcdj64

Postby pcdj64 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 pm

New OEM Honda sending unit installed, fuel gauge is now working as it should.
Aftermarket sending units do not work, it is worth spending the extra money to get the right one.
pcdj64

Postby Vespa Bob » Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Interesting. Thanks for reporting on this.

Bob
Vespa Bob

Return to Honda Helix