Weaving problem when fitting new tires

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Weaving problem when fitting new tires

Postby Vespa Bob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm

After replacing the original Dunlop tires fitted to my recently purchased Helix with 3500 miles, I have noticed an increased weaving on the steering than before. I would occasionally experience a weaving during cross winds, but now, even in calm conditions, it feels like I'm riding on marshmallows with the new Bridgestone M16/17 tires. Anyone else experience this?

Bob
Vespa Bob

Re: Weaving problem when fitting new tires

Postby birdmannn101 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 am

Check the air in your tires as per the owners manual.
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby Vespa Bob » Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 am

I'm running 32 rear and 26 front.

Bob
Vespa Bob

Postby charlie55 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Check if the tire(s) were installed with the correct rotational orientation (arrow on sidewall indicates which way the tire should rotate). It's also possible that the nubbies left over from manufacturing have yet to wear off. Sometimes they can act like little ball-bearings until they get ground down.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby Vespa Bob » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The tires are correctly mounted. Since it appears that no one else has this problem, I need to examine my steering components.

Bob
Vespa Bob

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am

Vespa Bob wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. The tires are correctly mounted. Since it appears that no one else has this problem, I need to examine my steering components.

Bob

Bob,

Not sure about the Helix, but I know on my Harley that if the steering head bearings are loose, it will wander and wobble on decel really bad.

Check your manual for head bearing adjustment and that may help you out on your wandering.

Did it wander prior to the new tires? If your head bearings are in spec, you may have tires that are bad, even new ones.

Good luck.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Cosmic_Jumper » Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Only 3500 miles? It's barely broken in. Quite basically, if the years weren't against you, the scoot would still be in warranty. What are the odds that a Honda would have steering head bearings go bad in warranty --and so suddenly after replacing the tires?

If the pressures check okay, my money says the tires are knackered --maybe bad lamination.

Tim
Cosmic_Jumper

Postby Vespa Bob » Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 pm

I don't think it is the steering bearings, since it only started this weaving tendency since changing to the Bridgestone tires. I was hoping I'd get replies stating similar results from other users of these tires. Apparently, they are quite popular. I'll keep on going and perhaps I'll adjust to them. Thanks for your comments.

Bob
Vespa Bob

Postby Trib » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 am

Check the two bolts in front of the muffler, above & below. These go through the muffler, then through the pressed steel swinging arm, and bolt the whole assembly to the back of the engine. If they're not done up tightly enough, the back wheel will swing about.

They're a known weakness on the Helix. One challenge is, if you do them up too tightly they'll strip. But this is not a disaster, you just put a longer bolt through and put a nut on the end.
Trib

Postby whitefusion » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:34 pm

If it only started after you fitted the tyres, then it is unlikely to be the result of some other component coincidentally just failing.

Never had a problem like this with Bridgestone tyres (or Metzeler, or Conti, or even rubbish like Vee Rubber) on either of my CNs. Sounds like they're not seated properly on the rims.
whitefusion

Postby whitefusion » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Trib wrote:Check the two bolts in front of the muffler, above & below. These go through the muffler, then through the pressed steel swinging arm, and bolt the whole assembly to the back of the engine. If they're not done up tightly enough, the back wheel will swing about.

They're a known weakness on the Helix. One challenge is, if you do them up too tightly they'll strip. But this is not a disaster, you just put a longer bolt through and put a nut on the end.

I missed this post the first time I read this thread... I have no idea how, since it's the biggest load of nonsense ever written about the Helix. Anywhere.

The Helix has no swingarm - pressed steel or otherwise. The two front bolts that secure the silencer to the engine can indeed strip the threaded alloy in the engine, but this has absolutely no influence on how much play there is or isn't at the rear wheel. Please refrain from posting stuff like this, as you clearly have no clue as to how your scooter works.
whitefusion

Postby GrahamH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Trib's post is not nonsense, although perhaps 'swing arm' is perhaps not the best description of the pressed steel part that supports the right side of the rear wheel, (the piece with the outrigger bearing). This part has to be removed to take out the rear wheel and if it is not correctly refitted then it would contribute to the poor handling. I would think it is well worth checking and a more likely cause of the problem than a rogue tyre.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby whitefusion » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Even with the exhaust hanger bearing completely collapsed there is no effect on play at the rear wheel - I have personal experience of this (I completed an 800 mile ride with the bike in this state) and also seen it first hand on a friend's bike.

The only likely causes of play at the rear wheel are shot engine hanger bushes, worn out final drive bearing or a damaged or badly-fitted rear tyre. Given that the OP didn't notice any such play until he changed a tyre that's the most obvious cause. There's no way to refit the exhaust hanger bracket (and associated spacers) incorrectly, not that allows the exhaust and rear wheel to go back on anyway.

But all that aside, yeah, his post makes complete sense :roll:
whitefusion

Return to Honda Helix