Adjusting idle jet screw

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Adjusting idle jet screw

Postby Vespa Bob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm

What is the favorite tool of choice for adjusting the pilot jet screw? Motion pro? Or another?

Bob
Vespa Bob

Re: Adjusting idle jet screw

Postby birdmannn101 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 pm

The idle jet screw is adjusted by hand according to the Honda Helix Service Manual.
birdmannn101

Postby Vespa Bob » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 am

I need to adjust it while the scooter is running and the screw is situated at the bottom of the carb where it requires a special 90 degree adjusting tool in order to reach it. There are different makes advertised on the web, along with conflicting reviews as to their quality. I was hoping someone would suggest one that was most used.

Bob
Vespa Bob

Postby birdmannn101 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 am

The screw has a square cap on it to prevent it from turning while the engine is running. You could use a "D tool" to turn the screw while the engine is running if you remove the cap. The service manual requires that you re-install the cap after adjusting.

IN SUMMARY... All of this is a pain in the butt. The best way to adjust the screw is to remove the carburetor (and while it's off clean the jets) and adjust the screw as per the service manual (all the way in, then 2 turns out). This can be done while you have the bowl off, cleaning the jets and you don't have to remove the cap or glue it back on again. Then run the bike and check the spark plug for being too rich (black) or too lean (white).
birdmannn101

Postby Richard » Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 am

I have big hands but you can adjust with the carb installed. No special tool needed.
Richard

Postby Vespa Bob » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Wow! I'll have to take another look, but I couldn't find a way to get my hand in there, especially with a hot engine. What type is the jet screw, flat head, or D shape?

Bob
Vespa Bob

Return to Honda Helix