No idle adjustment on rich running carb.

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

No idle adjustment on rich running carb.

Postby Bryan lee » Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Hello,
I have been refurbishing a 1987 Helix for the past couple of months for my wife and I'm having some mystifying carb problems. The scoot starts right up and runs relatively good, although it is running rich and the idle adjuster has no adjustment. I screw it all the way in and the scoot continues to run the same. I screw it out and there is no difference in the idle speed. I have two carbs that I have been trying multiple combinations of parts but no change. It seems to run better while warming up but once it's warmed up the idle drops and it wants to stall out. Please help.
Bryan lee

Re: No idle adjustment on rich running carb.

Postby zozman » Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 pm

The idle adjustment is on the front of the carburetor. Turn the screw clockwise, the idle goes up. Turn the screw CCW, the idle goes down.

The enrichment pilot screw is on the rear of the carburetor on the intake side. If the pilot screw has the limiter cap on it and you try to screw it to its limit, it has a limiter stop on the rear of the bowl to prevent it from seating. With the bowl cover off the adjustment of the pilot screw is 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 turns from light seat.

So which screw are you referring that has no effect on your idle?

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Bryan lee » Fri May 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Im referring to the Idle screw at the bottom of the carb. With the limiter cap attached. Although mine doesn't have the cap on yet, it's new.
Thanks,
Bryan lee

Try This

Postby zozman » Fri May 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Sounds like you may need a carburetor cleaning. I would recommend that you take your carburetor apart and replace the float valve, needle jet holder, slow and main jets and clean out all the orifaces. Clean all the parts and use compressed air clearing passages within the carburetor. The autobystarter should be checked for resistance and replaced if out of specs. The autobystarter controls the idle circuit. The enrichment screw on the back of the carburetor should be turned out 2-1/2 turns from light seat. Replace the float bowl gasket.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Bryan lee » Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 am

Thank you zozman, The carb and all the parts are clean and new. It sounds like I need to take a look at the autobystarter next.
Bryan lee

Return to Honda Helix