How to post pictures

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Re: How to post pictures

Postby slonaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 pm

birdmannn101 wrote:Since copy and pasting a photo is not an option and Patrick hasn't come back with his official summary yet, has anyone found an answer?

I don't have much of an "official summary" to offer. I host my own images using the hosting I pay for to host this board, so I don't really know of a "best" way to post images. I haven't ever messed with free hosting much out of fear that they would do exactly what photobucket did, so I'm really unable to offer good alternatives. I know there are alternatives, but I don't know what is good or what is bad. If any members have suggestions to make for free or inexpensive image hosting for other members, feel free to post those recommendations here.

I don't offer to host member images because there is a cost involved. Images require more storage space and bandwidth from the webhost. Much more than the text and images that make up the board itself. Most boards cover those costs by charging membership fees or inundating members with advertising. I don't do either. This board is a hobby, and everything is paid for out of my pocket. Not hosting member images keeps it affordable for me.

I suggest that If you choose to use free hosting that you keep in mind a few things. Most "free" things on the internet are not really free. They pay for the service somehow, usually through advertising. In the case of image hosting like photobucket provided, there were no ads in the images, so it was difficult to profit from the hosting they offered. It's the same for any other image hosting companies, so you shouldn't assume that they will store your images forever. Assume they will eventually stop providing the service for free, or maybe disappear altogether taking your images with them. Keep copies of everything you upload. You may need them at some point in the future.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby birdmannn101 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks for getting back with us on this Patrick. Hopefully, a member might come up with a suggestion that might work for us.

Being a webmaster for an antique bicycle website, I understand the cost associated with hosting more and more pictures.

Dan
birdmannn101
birdmannn101

Free Inexpensive Image Hosting Answer

Postby zozman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 pm

Use this site:

https://postimages.org/

It's free. When you select your image to host, there will be six selections. Pick the one you like then select "expire in 30 days".

That's enough for people to see your answer and eventually, it will clear itself up and not legacy forever.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby slonaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 pm

I noticed GrahamH used postimage successfully in his centerstand post. Here is their FAQ page if anyone is interested.

https://postimages.org/faq

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Re: How to post pictures--memo to Patrick

Postby OBUS44 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

I for one think that we all benefit from this website and we should not get all this info for free.

Patrick....how much would you have to charge us for an annual subscription for using your site? I mean if you bet 25 guys and they each paid XXX$ would that defray your larger bandwidth?

Just a thought.

Dennis O
OBUS44

Postby OBUS44 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Sorry...I meant GET 25 guys, not BET 25 guys...fat fingers.
OBUS44

Postby birdmannn101 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am

Dennis, Lets give Randy and Patricks website a try out. Here are some pictures (3) of your new rear light bar.

Here is the back with the lights off.
https://s20.postimg.org/4a7qc22x9/LED_LIGHT_BAR_WITH_SWITCH_OFF.jpg

Here it is wiring.
https://s20.postimg.org/ydhnq9gst/LED_LIGHT_BAR_WIRING.jpg

Here it is with brake light on.
https://s20.postimg.org/dj9wm6bt9/LED_LIGHT_BAR_WITH_SWITCH_ON.jpg

Let me know if the pictures don't show.

I saved them for 31 days. Didn't read what would happen if I left them with out an expiration date. I did not reduce them in size either.

Here on Patrick's site you have to choose URL since Img needs to have the photo here on Patrick's site to show it and we aren't planning to do that (I understand).
birdmannn101

Re: How to post pictures--memo to Patrick

Postby slonaker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49 pm

OBUS44 wrote:Patrick....how much would you have to charge us for an annual subscription for using your site? I mean if you bet 25 guys and they each paid XXX$ would that defray your larger bandwidth?

Just a thought.

Dennis O

I have considered this in the past. It looks like it would cost about $300 more per year for me to get a better hosting plan that would allow me to host member photos. It would also allow me to host avatars and raise the number of PMs (private messages) each member could store. My fear is getting stuck with paying the increased costs if folks lose interest. I would be forced to pay or delete everyone's uploaded photos. I'm just not sure we have enough members that would be would be willing to contribute money to the site to keep that going.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby charlie55 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Patrick:

Good point about having enough of a base to sustain covering the added costs. It seems to be pretty common for folks to join up in order to have a single question answered and to then never be heard from again (often without even saying "thanks"). When I look at the total count of members and compare it to the relatively small number of people who are active here on a regular basis, I don't see the kind of volume necessary for going the subscription route, although I'm not averse to it myself. The Helix is just about as "niche" as you can get, and I sincerely doubt that there's going to be any dramatic surge of interest.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby OBUS44 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I will contribute $25/year to join.

Why not survey us and see who will pay to have this service?

Dennis O
OBUS44

Postby Cruiser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:39 am

I don't think the interest is there! But then the riding season is pretty much at an end. The traffic here is really slowing down.
Cruiser

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 am

I'm new here, well fairly new...

I've been a member on many forums over the years and have used Picture Trail for probably 15 years.

It costs me $19.95/yr.

I have 17 albums and 879 photos. They support photo sharing so I can post pictures on any forum, like this one.

This is a streetrod I built back in 2000.

The nice thing about Picture Trail is that when you download their free editing and uploading app to your laptop or desktop, it automatically corrects the size of the photo as it uploads. That way it will look right on a forum page without having to scroll across the page to see the whole thing.

They have a Free Membership with some limitations. But if you only want to host a few pictures, it may work out great for you.

Here are their T&C.

Terms and Conditions

PictureTrail.com, hereafter referred to as PictureTrail, allows its registered members to create online photo albums by uploading image files to Picturetrail servers. As a PictureTrail member you agree to receive periodic emails from Picturetrail containing information about new features and service options and/or periodic information about special promotions.

New PictureTrail members are assigned a Free Intro Account to let users test all our features. After 31 days, Free Intro Accounts are switched to a limited Free Basic Account, with less storage and features, if not already upgraded to the Premium account level.

We can provide our Free Basic Accounts only with your continued usage. Free Basic accounts, may be deleted, if they are not logged into at least once every 6 months. To help make sure your account and its images will not be deleted, please upgrade to a paid level account. We reserve the right to delete accounts that have not been accessed at least once every 12 months or images that have not been requested at least once per year. If you wish to make sure your account or images will not be deleted, please upgrade to our paid level account.

Payment Terms for Premium Account level

The paid Premium account period commences on the date the member upgrades to the Premium account level. The initial one year period of the Premium account may be extended anytime during the Premium account period by clicking on the Renew Now link on the Account Status page in the members area.

To assure that your account is protected, Premium accounts will be automatically renewed on the premium expiration date for an additional year at which time the Premium account fee will be automatically charged to the member's credit card on file.

A member may opt out of autorenew by sending a request using the Contact Us form requesting that autorenew be disabled on the requested account. If payment is made by non-credit card means (check or money order) or if autorenew is disabled on the account, a billing reminder will be sent to the email address registered on the account.

In order to terminate a Premium account the member should click on the Contact Us link in the members area and submit a cancellation request. The account will then be terminated within two business days.

I used their free membership for a few years and then wanted more space for photos and went with the first level Premium Membership.

Just throwing it out there if anyone is interested. I've never had an issue posting/sharing photos on any forum.

If anyone is interested, here is my Picture Trail link.

http://www.picturetrail.com/Dan_Lockwood

Thanks and have a great day.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby charlie55 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Ooops, responded to an old post. Removed - sorry!
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby slonaker » Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 am

It’s an ongoing post that has been “stickied.” Feel free to add to it.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Honda Helix