hard Starting

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

hard Starting

Postby Helmut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:50 pm

My 87 Helix is hard to start when cold , but runs just fine after it warms up,The Carb was rebuilt and the Bystator checks out good.
ANY Ideas?
Helmut

Postby Cubey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Fuel filter perhaps?
Cubey

Postby coopdway » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 pm

How often do you ride it?
coopdway

Postby Helmut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:42 pm

I just Purchased this Scooter, I also ride a 86 Elite 250, a 03 Suzuki Volusia 800,and a Elite 150. I know the Elite 250 and the Helix have the same Motor. I just cant figure it out ,
Helmut

Postby Cubey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Odds are it's a fuel system problem. Or perhaps the spark plug or ignition coil. Or maybe it's something more serious, like my parts bike was.

I never did figure out what was wrong with it. I couldn't get it to run (but it turned over fine) then i suddenly got it to run fine for 2 days. Then it suddenly quit running again for no good reason. I suspected it to be an electrical problem since the coil seemed to lack any voltage (at the voltage inlet connectors) going to it after it quit running again. I figured it to be a module problem that I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to try to diagnose. But I was having title problems to boot so now it's used for parts on a second Helix I bought.

Immediately after I got it running I recorded a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HT6m11 ... annel_page
Cubey

Postby coopdway » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:06 am

I asked about how often because if mine sits for a time without running, it takes more to start than when I ride it regularly. With the components replaced that you mentioned, it was the only thing I could think of.

Do you try it first with no throttle and then hold the grip 'open' a bit?
coopdway

Hard starting,

Postby Helmut » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 am

Yes i have tried all things Possible , Next thing is i will have to find another Carburetor, if any one has a spare lying around and wants to sell it i would really like to hear about it.

Helmut
Helmut

Postby dneilson » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 am

Here's a brand new one for a decent price---

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-He ... ccessories
dneilson

Re: Hard starting,

Postby slonaker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Helmut wrote:Yes i have tried all things Possible , Next thing is i will have to find another Carburetor, if any one has a spare lying around and wants to sell it i would really like to hear about it.

Helmut

You can put a "wanted" ad here...

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/viewforum.php?f=6

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Re: Hard starting,

Postby injuhneer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

Helmut wrote:Yes i have tried all things Possible , Next thing is i will have to find another Carburetor, if any one has a spare lying around and wants to sell it i would really like to hear about it.

Helmut

Well certainly there is something still amiss or there would not be a problem.

For no-start engines always begin with fuel/fire/timing.

Go from there.
injuhneer

hard starting,

Postby Helmut » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for all the replies but i think it is the Bystarter i have ordered a new one , i will let You know what happens The old one shows good on the Ohm meter but there must be something wrong with it, that is all i t can be. Helmut
Helmut

Postby Alarmnbob » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:14 am

check to see if the bystarter valve plunger gets longer, about an 1/8 of an inch, as it heats up with power on it. Ohm reading should be around 4 ohms. if it reads much over that, say 9 0r 10ohms, it is bad. When bystarter valves go bad they usually will will be stuck open. Or in chock mode!
I will say though if the valve is bad and the scoot does not run good when cold...odds are that it maybe some other problem. I would check to see that the orifice that the bystarter valve closes may be clogged along with a bad starter valve.
When the bystarter valve does not work it leaves the chock on and fuel gets up in that orifice and can harden. A good carb cleaning is in order!
Most of the time a new carb is cheaper than a bystarter valve. Bystarter valves go for around $30.00 and a carb can be had for around $50.00 and comes with a new starter valve. MY 2 CENTS
Alarmnbob

Return to Honda Helix