Helix versus Burgman 400.

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Helix versus Burgman 400.

Postby notdeadman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:06 pm

So my girlfriend and I took a 430 mile overnighter trip this past weekend on my 94 Helix and 03 Burgman 400. We rode from Grass Valley, CA to Mount Lassen, elevation 8000+ feet and home again, spending the night at Lake Almanor, CA.
We didn't fight but did wrestle over one of the scooters, who got to ride it. One might think that would be the Burgman with its clearly superior power and sure-footed handling. Well, no. We both wanted to ride my Helix all of the time. It is hard to describe how it is more appealing, but it is. I know of a couple of Burgman owners that had Helixes (and miss them) and a couple of people that have Helixes and want Burgmans, so let me just help all of you out there that THINK you will really be happier with a Burgman. You won't be unhappy, but you WILL miss your Helix. So get both if you can. And as I have said in another post, the Burgman speedometer is way optimistic and the Helix's is not. So an honest Helix top speed of 70 mph is about 80 indicated for a Burgman. Acceleration on hills will show a big difference. But with some pre-planning, there won't be as much difference as you might expect unless you really ride the Burgman aggressively, with the throttle pinned. And it is my opinion that the Burgman is much less happy with its throttle pinned than the Helix. We had the Helix's throttle pinned a LOT, but it never went over three bars on the coolant temp gauge.

This is just my attempt to cure the "more is better, never happy" mindset.
93 Helix, white, 42K mi
notdeadman

Postby DJ Lee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:54 am

So, why did they quit making Helixs?
I wish they would have just done some modifications.
Panel parts fitting a little better. Wider faring, by an inch or so.
Buttons that don't break or wear out.
Other than that, I can whip any other bike out there, and I think I'll keep it.
barryatric.blogspot.com/
DJ Lee

Postby Cruiser » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:18 am

I noticed that I can leave "geared" bikes behind from a stop! Cars also get left behind. :lol: They always catch up, but that is fun! :)
I tell motorcycle owners that I have put 5000+ miles on my two Helix's this year so far. Some are amazed. Of course most "Bikers" only get there "toys" out on weekends and evenings. I ride my Helix for daily transportation and simply because I prefer it over my car. And my car is a "Hot" little Yellow Focus ZX3 8) , seen in the background of my avitar. :)
Cruiser

Helix

Postby tmn72tx » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:35 pm

My Helix is my daily transportation too. When I'm not on the Helix, I'm on public transit.

I do wish sometimes that it was more in the 400 cc range. I have a steep hill heading home, and if I get slowed down, I usually can't get back up past 60 MPH. Forget about double-up riding.

Still, she's such a dream to ride. So light, nimble, and that seat. I love it! And she doesn't shake my arms numb like so many people with big bikes complain about.

I think the Burgman scooters look fantastic. I have lusted after them for sometime, but the cost was too prohibitive. At least now I feel a little better about having a Helix. Thanks for sharing the experiences!
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Postby whitefusion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 am

I'm lucky enough to have both, and while I enjoy the Burgman's extra power and better handling for longer journeys I do most of my local riding on the Fusion. I find the Fusion more comfortable as the wide seat suits my (ahem) wide seat and it's just as practical as the Burgman in other respects.
whitefusion

Postby Alarmnbob » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 am

The Helix is powerful but it really puts out allot less power than it could. This bike was built with a retarded cam. What i mean by that is it is less efficient that most bikes. By regrinding the Cam more performance can be obtained with the stock CC. This does require stiffer valve springs also. Along with this mod the timing magnet has to be moved on the flywheel to retard timing by 4 degrees. I suggest a larger carb!

With this new cam the bike will do dead stop wheel spins.

The Stock Cam (lift .310).....................Reground cam (lift .365)
intake duration = 220 degrees................250 degrees
exhaust duration = 220 degrees...............250 degrees
intake open= 0- TDC...............................15 deg  BTDC
intake closed = 40 deg ABDC...................55 deg ABDC
exhaust open = 35 deg BBDC..................50 deg BBDC
exhaust closed = 5 deg ATDC....................20 deg ATDC

The new cam will hold the valves open longer and wider!

You hardly hear of someone putting performance mods on the Helix because it runs so well. There is much more power to be tapped out of the good performance Helix powerplant.
Alarmnbob

Postby Sam » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Thats very interisting. Do you know anybody that sells a reground cam with your specifications. Thanks Sam
Sam

Edited by moderator. Images removed.

Postby Alarmnbob » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 pm

There is a place in California that will grind a new cam for you.
It is called Web Cam Inc. http://www.webcamshafts.com
They didn't do mine but they have done these specs before.
Scooter Designer/Mechanic
Alarmnbob

Postby Desmond » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:01 pm

How about the Silverwing ? Have any of you riden one ? Mighty pretty bike.

Des
Desmond

Postby answs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am

May be it is just me, but I can't tell which scooter I am looking at when I see a Reflex, Silverwing, Burgman, or a Majesty. These newer maxi-scooter designs all look similar for some reason. That's one of the reasons why I like the Helix.
answs

Postby slonaker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 am

answs wrote:May be it is just me, but I can't tell which scooter I am looking at when I see a Reflex, Silverwing, Burgman, or a Majesty.

I thought it was just me...

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Dennis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:59 pm

The more you look at scooters the harder it is to tell what they are. So many of the 125-150s look exactly alike. At least a lot alike.
Mutt dogs are the best!
Dennis

Postby coopdway » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 am

slonaker wrote:........I thought it was just me...

Patrick

Nope, me too. I know it's either XX or XX or XX but that's as far as it goes and as far as I'm concerned that's fine.

I've said it before but for the longest time, I've been telling myself that if the garage were emptied and I could have one machine, it would be a 400 class scooter. Over time, I'm changing my mind and let's just say the Helix has become a true favorite.
coopdway

Postby Dennis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:47 pm

coopdway wrote:
slonaker wrote:........I thought it was just me...

Patrick

Nope, me too. I know it's either XX or XX or XX but that's as far as it goes and as far as I'm concerned that's fine.

I've said it before but for the longest time, I've been telling myself that if the garage were emptied and I could have one machine, it would be a 400 class scooter. Over time, I'm changing my mind and let's just say the Helix has become a true favorite.

Other maxi scoots are more modern looking, faster, but I have yet to sit on any scooter that even comes close to the comfort of the Helix with the added Utopia backrest. The Utopia merely completes the package. You could add one to others but it still wouldn't be as comfortable as the Helix.
Mutt dogs are the best!
Dennis

Postby byeway » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Amen, amen!

I checked out the new Honda scooters at my nearest dealership yesterday, and the only twinges of envy I felt were (A) for a used Helix with only 1600 miles on the clock, and (B) for the 16" wheels on the new 150cc scooters.

To identify other scooters I had to look at the badges on a new Silver Wing and a (used) Burger.

Of course, I'm not an expert on other scooters - - - because I'm just not very interested in them! :P
Byeway Bill
byeway

Next

Return to Honda Helix