Trip button missing

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Trip button missing

Postby fire1427 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:50 pm

We went for a ride , stopped at the gas station to refuel wife went to hit the reset button and it was GONE ... Is it replaceable ??? anyone else loose one ??? Can I swap it with the MPG/KPH one ???
fire1427

Postby Teddy da Bear » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:52 am

Wow......that is weird! Is there any possiblity that if fell inside the instrument panel?
2005 Helix
Teddy da Bear

Postby byeway » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:48 pm

My '94 is also missing the "Trip" reset button and the "Minutes" button for the clock. I'm guessing that they were lost by a previous owner when removing the maintenance access panel.

A temporary solution is to gently press the underlying keypad with a ball-point pen or similar small instrument; VERY gently!

When I need to remove that panel next, I will try to fabricate (or find) a replacement button for those two, but my solution has worked each time I fill the gas tank and the one time I had to reset the clock, so there's no pressure to find a replacement except for appearance sake.

If anyone has to take care of this issue sooner -- please measure and sketch the buttons so that we can try to find a replacement. I don't recall seeing these small parts offered separately by the Honda system.
Byeway Bill
byeway

Re: Trip button missing

Postby Jim Wills » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 pm

I have the same problem, two buttons are missing needing replacement.

My solution being an aeromodeller is to make the buttons from suitable sized square balsa strip obtainable from model shops, after shaping to fit the buttons can be painted with Humbrol enamel for weather protection. Fitting could be done using Cyno to the base of the button but be VERY CAREFUL not to apply too much - a thin paint brush can be used as an applicator.

GOOD LUCK!

Jim
Jim Wills

Postby zozman » Tue May 21, 2019 5:21 pm

CASE, METER (UPPER)
37203-KFR-841
$49.42

Includes Trip Meter Buttons

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Jim Wills » Wed May 22, 2019 3:14 am

zozman wrote:CASE, METER (UPPER)
37203-KFR-841
$49.42

Includes Trip Meter Buttons

zoz

Interesting - thanks, bit expensive for two buttons.......but noted.

Jim
Jim Wills

Postby GrahamH » Wed May 22, 2019 10:12 am

It is very common for these buttons to fall out, I made one out of a piece of scrap plastic.

If we could find a sample I think this would be an ideal part to be made using 3d printing, anyone got a spare to lend?
GrahamH

Postby Jim Wills » Wed May 22, 2019 11:07 am

Interesting idea but I’m not clued up on the process......nor do I have the technology’s talent.

Jim
Jim Wills

Postby myfirsthondahelix » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

My trip reset button fell out and now I simply carry a toothpick in the glove box to reset. Cost is less than a penny!
myfirsthondahelix

Postby Jim Wills » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 am

myfirsthondahelix wrote:My trip reset button fell out and now I simply carry a toothpick in the glove box to reset. Cost is less than a penny!

On this side of the pond the construction industry (buildings) use a very hard Styrofoam material known as ‘FloorMate’ which used between walls and UNDER CONCRETE for insulation, I have a small piece, black instead of the normal blue, from which I will cut out a pair of buttons and shape using sharp knife and Dremel grinder, being Hard foam these won’t damage the surrounding area but will be strong enough to push the micro contacts within the screen.

Another substance one could use to make buttons is a domestic rubber door stop carved in the samewas as above.......

Jim
Jim Wills

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am

Jim Wills wrote:
myfirsthondahelix wrote:My trip reset button fell out and now I simply carry a toothpick in the glove box to reset. Cost is less than a penny!

On this side of the pond the construction industry (buildings) use a very hard Styrofoam material known as ‘FloorMate’ which used between walls and UNDER CONCRETE for insulation, I have a small piece, black instead of the normal blue, from which I will cut out a pair of buttons and shape using sharp knife and Dremel grinder, being Hard foam these won’t damage the surrounding area but will be strong enough to push the micro contacts within the screen.

Another substance one could use to make buttons is a domestic rubber door stop carved in the samewas as above.......

Jim

Or as simple as using the eraser from a lead pencil cut to size!
Cruiser

Return to Honda Helix