drivers backrest

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

drivers backrest

Postby corvairbob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:49 pm

here is the assembly of the backrest i'm building for my bike. i got a sissy bar and pad from ebay and i'm cutting the sissy bar to remake it into what i need. see the pictures here showing the assembly of this backrest as it progresses.

this is the part when i got it.

this the part i remove and discarded will not nee this.

this is the cross support i removed to relocate for support.

this is the part i cut off to reweld for rigidity.

this is the elbows i cut off the re-bend to the desired angle, 10 deg is a good starter angle. they are 10 deg open angle now i made them 10 deg closed.

this is the top section the back pad will fasten to.

the backrest slider tube right side corner the backrest slides into this.

the backrest mocked up ready to finish welding and paint.

backrest in the rack that has the slider tubes welded on it.

this one shows the backrest and the mount for the antenna.

corvairbob
cf moto fashion
corvairbob

Postby Hardcore Rider » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Looks like you won't be carrying a passenger with that setup. Also it looks like it might cause you to lean back putting the grips too far forward, or the operator too far back. Of course, if you have long arms, that wouldn't be a problem.

Still looks interesting though.
All weather rider
Hardcore Rider

Postby corvairbob » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:13 am

well hardcore rider thanks for the comment, but your looking at it when it is back all the way. it is adjustable. and i had one just like it on my 87 helix and it was just perfect. and for the passenger it is removable and then i would not need the backrest. i had a lower backrest on the burgman and did not like that one as well as this style. but after i crashed the burgman i was looking for that backrest to put on this bike only because it was done and i could modify it for my taste. and now if i happen to be riding and come across a passenger it i can take it out turn it upside down and put into the back for storage, until the passenger is gone and the put it back into service for me. but thanks bp.
corvairbob
cf moto fashion
corvairbob

Postby Hardcore Rider » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:18 am

Oh. Sorry. If it will come forward, then it looks like a good setup. And I didn't realize it was removable. With that setup, it looks like you could tour 1 up in comfort.

Are you selling one or more of these? I ask because it's in the buy/sell/trade section.
All weather rider
Hardcore Rider

Postby corvairbob » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 pm

no, in the buy and sell section i was asking if anyone had one. and when i told you about moving it to the back for a rider i miss spoke. i can't turn it downward it will block the brake light. but it will slide up to the trunk, in the upright position. looks funny but in a pinch what is one to do.

and yes for 1 up riding it is very comfortable to me. just a bit of history on the back rest is. years ago i had a 750 Honda and also a few back surgery's and found i could not ride the 750 Honda. one day i happened into the local Honda shop and saw the helix. loved it, and asked if i could take a ride. that was it i got one and then found out i needed a back rest. i put one on just like this one here. i could ride that scooter for hours with that setup. so this summer i'm counting on that same experience of comfort. i included pictures so one could build there very own. i got the parts from ebay. and at this time ebay has one from a goldwing that anyone can get cut it up and affix it to the trunk frame and it is done. good luck bp.
corvairbob
cf moto fashion
corvairbob

Return to Honda Helix