New '09 Yamaha Majesty

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

New '09 Yamaha Majesty

Postby HandKPhil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:31 pm

I brought home a (practically) new, '09 Yamaha Majesty a couple of weeks ago. I found it at my local dealership, and it had 127 miles on it. I got it for a good price, and the dealer threw in a one year Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) plan, a new HJC CL16 helmet, and a free oil change.

I've got a '99 Helix that I've been riding a lot this summer, and though I enjoy it tremendously, I've been thinking how good it would be if it had a better suspension and more power. After some research I discovered the new Kymco Downtown 300i, and quickly decided it would be my next scooter. After a little more searching I discovered the nearest dealer was about an hour away, and when I contacted him he told me he would order a 300i for me, but that I'd have to pay MSRP of $5599.

Well I'm not too keen on ordering a bike I've never sat on (let alone seen), so I decided to hold off for a while. About a week later I saw a Majesty at another local dealership, and suddenly a light went on above my head. I wanted fuel injection, and like the 300i the Majesty had that. I wanted a bigger engine than the Helix, and the Majesty checked that box off too. I wanted a modern suspension, Japanese build quality, and I wanted a bike I could lay my eyes and hands on prior to making a purchase.

Anyway, my nephew and I went to my bank to pay off my Kawasaki Versys and have the title signed over to me. Afterwards we stopped off at the dealership to see what they had laying around, and a couple of hours later I drove home with my new scoot. Review to follow.
HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Pic of the new ride

Postby HandKPhil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 pm

HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Comparison to Helix

Postby HandKPhil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:37 pm

A few days after picking it up my nephew and I changed the final drive oil, adjusted the seat and handlebars, checked the coolant and aired up the tires. As I mentioned earlier, the engine oil was changed by the dealer at 127 miles, prior to me bringing it home.

What a difference between this bike and an 11 year-old Helix. The engine on the Majesty is obviously still not broken in yet, so I'm keeping the rpms below 5 grand for now. Even with that restriction, the power difference between the two bikes is evident. The Majesty's acceleration is not exactly blinding, but there's plenty of torque available, and I see no reason it couldn't reach it's claimed top speed of 105 mph. It's a heavier bike than the Helix, and it feels much more planted. The suspension is more compliant, the brakes are much better, and so's the lighting and storage space.

All in all, I think this bike will be a solid upgrade from the Helix, and a good addition to the stable. We put around 400 miles on the Majesty in two days.
HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Another pic

Postby HandKPhil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm

HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Postby coopdway » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Looks and sounds like fun. I'll say it once more; if there were only one machine in the garage, it would be a 400 scooter. Your Majesty would definitely work for me!
coopdway

Postby silverbullet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Congrats! Your going to love your Majesty! I traded my 01 Reflex for an 05 when they first came out. I call it the "Best all around scooter" Light enough for bee bopping around town & enough power for all day touring!
I put the first 7.600 smiles on it before puting tow-pac unit on it & giving it to my bride to ride as seen here Scroll down to see the pic.
http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/view ... 5&start=15
It now has over 19.000 trouble free miles on it.
I would highly recomend spending the extra money & get the side wind deflectors. Gets rid of the parachute pants effect & offers better wind & rain protection for your feet. Well worth the money.
Wishing you many happy safe miles on your new Majesty!
Lou
98 Helix
06 650 Burgman
silverbullet

So many scooters...

Postby HandKPhil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, Silverbullet. I like your wife's trike, and your Burgman too. I'm actually eyeballing an '09 Burgman 650 right now myself. My nephew loves the new Majesty, and thinks I ought to give it to him and buy myself the Burgman. I just might do it too!
HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Postby Don Leonardo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Nice. I've always like them.
08 Stella
04 Helix
76 Vespa
Don Leonardo

Postby silverbullet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 pm

The 650 Burgman is one fine scooter. It gives me one HUGE :mrgreen: every time I ride it. Every once in a while I'll do the electric shift (Brings out the little boy in me) & let it sing between 6 & 8g's on the tac. Its a whole different animal. Love the engine braking & the power mode in the twisties.
One thing you will be giving up with the Burgman is its a lardy. In other words its heavy. Not so easy to throw your leg through it & buzz to the store like on the Helix or Majesty.
In all honesty if I had to sell one of my scooters up it would have to be the Helix. (As much as it pains me to ay that) The Burgman it to much of a blast to ride & a better all around scooter IMHO.
Lou
98 Helix
06 650 Burgman
silverbullet

Postby notdeadman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Nice Majesty. I rode my friend's up and down the freeway and it seemed a lot more like a motorcycle than my Burgman 400. It seemed very planted, as you say, and the center of gravity seemed higher like a motorcyle. Too, the Majesty seemed to have more oomph and reportedly doesn't have the oil consumption problem that early Burgman 400s have. All in all, my friend was very happy with his but bought a Tmax before selling the Majesty. His swapping was more for a change of pace than any real dissatisfaction with the Majesty. He lives in Oakland and has to run against aggressively driven cars at higher freeway speeds, so I think the Tmax is a bit better at that sort of thing.

You have a nice tank, too.
93 Helix, white, 42K mi
notdeadman

Postby 96helix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Your new ride looks great. I'm currently rebuilding a 1996 Helix. Just waiting for my new plastics to come in and I'm doing a three part restore on the gas tank.

I know eventually I'll get the fever for an upgrade and you'res looks like a great contender.

Joe in Kalamazoo
96helix

Tanks a lot

Postby HandKPhil » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm doing a little work on my '99 Helix right now myself. I like the Majesty, but I'll probably keep the Helix around for a while:-)

I'm also gonna do a full resto on my tank. New roller weights, a new belt, maybe a new barrel.....

Anyone know where I can get some new reactive armor panels? I've got a few dents and scrapes that I'd like to get rid of.
HandKPhil
HandKPhil

Postby helixnz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:30 am

like you i just bought a majestyI decided to get a yp400. I wont be selling all my 6 cn250,s at once
Mod and rocker now grown up!
helixnz

Return to Other Scooters