Accessing the radiator filler

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Accessing the radiator filler

Postby Southpaw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 am

Okay. My nest door shop neighbor just acquired a 2004 Helix. He wanted to go through the fluid levels. I was attempting to illustrate for him, the method of filling the radiator at the top. Now on my '97, the holding brake cable is broken, so after removing the 3 screw that secure the shroud to the panel, I realized that the brake actuating handle would have to be removed, from his, to remove the panel. How does one accomplish this?
Southpaw

Postby Apothecary » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:20 am

Wait, the brake actuating handle? Are you referring to the brake lock handle? Just push it out the back of the panel. It's a pain to get it back through again but mine just pushed out the back. I didn't have to disconnect the handle at all to remove the panel.
Apothecary

Postby Cubey » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 am

I assume you mean the parking brake handle. Turn the handle upside down and then slanted and the panel should come right off.

Also there is supposed to be 3 screws, 1 is over the ignition switch.
Cubey

Postby whognu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Okay, I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to access the water pump on my '86 Helix, but I can't find it. The service manual shows it, but doesn't really say how to get at it, other than to take off the maintenance cover. I've done that, but clearly I need to remove more stuff. I have my garage floor covered in plastic pieces and a box full of screws and bolts, but the body piece I think I need to remove next won't come off. I can't see any more screws holding it on, and it's pretty loose, but I'm afraid to yank much harder for fear of breaking something. And, like the poster above said, the parking brake handle looks to be permanently attached - I don't see any way to disconnect it or take it off.

I really thought this would be easier - am I missing something?
whognu

Postby Apothecary » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok first off, why threadjack? This thread was about something completely different from the water pump. Second, the water pump is on the right side of the bike completely visible with all body panels in place. BUT if you're replacing the pump, you're going to be tearing the right side of the engine casing off since the shaft that drives the water pump is turned by the oil pump.
Apothecary

Postby whognu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Apothecary wrote:Ok first off, why threadjack? This thread was about something completely different from the water pump. Second, the water pump is on the right side of the bike completely visible with all body panels in place. BUT if you're replacing the pump, you're going to be tearing the right side of the engine casing off since the shaft that drives the water pump is turned by the oil pump.

I'm trying to replace the radiator fluid in my Helix, which seemed pretty similar to this thread's topic, so I posted here rather than start a similar thread. If a mod wants to move this to a new thread, that's fine, too.

So it's visible without taking off body panels? I must need a better light in the garage. I kind of figured it'd be near the radiator and reservoir, but the pics in the service manual didn't give much context. They did say to remove the maintenance panel, which is also why I was digging around in that area to begin with.

Can the drain bolt be removed and the fluid drained out without removing panels, too?
whognu

Postby Apothecary » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:44 am

Clarify what EXACTLY you are trying to do. Your first thread mentioned accessing the water pump itself but now you say you're trying to drain the fluid? Which are you trying to do. I'm completely confused and have no idea what advice to give now since your story has changed.

As for replacing fluid being the same as this topic, did you read the original post? The original post was asking about the body panel that is just below the dash and its removal. The only mention of anything similar was that he is removing this panel to get to the upper radiator fill point.
Apothecary

Postby whognu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Apothecary wrote:Clarify what EXACTLY you are trying to do. Your first thread mentioned accessing the water pump itself but now you say you're trying to drain the fluid? Which are you trying to do. I'm completely confused and have no idea what advice to give now since your story has changed.

As for replacing fluid being the same as this topic, did you read the original post? The original post was asking about the body panel that is just below the dash and its removal. The only mention of anything similar was that he is removing this panel to get to the upper radiator fill point.

I'm trying to replace the radiator fluid in my Helix. I understood that the drain bolt at the bottom of the water pump is the way to remove the fluid that's in there now (page 12-4 of the service manual), so I'm trying to find the water pump in my scooter. Since the radiator fill point is under the dash panel, and the radiator is near that, I thought the water pump would be nearby as well. And that's why I thought this would be a reasonable thread to post in.

If I'm going about this the wrong way, I'd love to know. Otherwise, I'm trying to figure out where the water pump is on my scooter, so I can drain the coolant. I haven't had a chance to look on the right side like you said, but I'm hoping to get back to work on it today.
whognu

Coolant Replacement

Postby Vulture » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Remove the Drain Bolt and remove the radiator cap. Everyone has their own
way of performing this maintenance but after the system is drained I place a
paper towel cardboard tube on the radiator fill and blow the remaining fluid
out of the system. I also use a piece of aquarium tubing to siphon the overflow
canister. I fill the system up with water and bring the bike up to operating
temperature and then repeat the draining process. After refilling the radiator &
overflow canister with antifreeze run the bike with the cap off and watch the
liquid in the radiator till no more air bubbles are present. Before I replace the
service panel I ride a few miles then bring the antifreeze level to the correct level
in the radiator and overflow canister and I’m good for another year.
Vulture

Re: Coolant Replacement

Postby whognu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Vulture wrote:Image

temperature and then repeat the draining process. After refilling the radiator &
liquid in the radiator till no more air bubbles are present. Before I replace the
service panel I ride a few miles then bring the antifreeze level to the correct level

Awesome - thanks!

I can't believe I tore the bike apart looking for that thing.
whognu

Re: Coolant Replacement

Postby Don Leonardo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Vulture wrote:Image

That's it?? I've been wondering about changing my fluid. I didn't realize the bolt was right there near the oil changing area. I think I'll be cruising to Don Michele's with a little project. Isn't that what little brothers are for??
08 Stella
04 Helix
76 Vespa
Don Leonardo

Return to Honda Helix