Helix Driver Backrest?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby bugsplatz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello Everyone,
I know that this has been a frequent topic but I've been searching like crazy for a Helix driver backrest and other than the expensive Utopia I can find nothing.
Have any of you found a source for one? How 'bout you DIYers out there?
Has anyone cobbled a DIYer version?
I'd surely be willing to follow instructions for building one (especially if its adjustable).
Thanks for any ideas offered!
Fred
bugsplatz

Postby Cruiser » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 pm

There are no other production driver backrests. Try searching here for backrest. there are a couple of how-to's around for making your own. One of the best ideas was useing a auto headrest.
I have the Utopia and love it.
Check this out.
http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/view ... rest#10986
Cruiser

Postby bugsplatz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks, Cruiser. I'll take a look.
bugsplatz

Re: Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby bear » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

If you've been searching past posts about Helix back rests, you've probably seen many folks express how glad they are to have purchased the Utopia back rest. I for one am glad I did. I regard it was worth every penny I paid for it.

That said, I well understand frugality either because you don't have the money or because you want to keep it.

Before I got my Utopia I used to strap a small cooler to the rear grab bars. I think some folks used a soft side cooler that had a plastic insert in it to stiffen it up some. Something like this has the advantage that it is useful for carrying things too. My set up though wasn't quite comfortable enough.

Good luck,
Bear
2006 Helix
bear

Re: Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby silverbullet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 pm

bear wrote:If you've been searching past posts about Helix back rests, you've probably seen many folks express how glad they are to have purchased the Utopia back rest. I for one am glad I did. I regard it was worth every penny I paid for it.

That said, I well understand frugality either because you don't have the money or because you want to keep it.

Good luck,

I'm with ya Bear. Love my Utpoia. Worth every penny to me as well.
Yet if some one can successfully make one to fit their needs & budjet, More power to you. Because comfort in riding is "Priceless"
Lou
98 Helix
06 650 Burgman
silverbullet

Postby realbtl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:20 pm

I have found this $25 DIY amazingly comfortable. It's not that high and you can't really lean back but the added lower back/lumbar support really makes a difference.

I bought a cheap foam camping mattress and cut it in half lengthwise then rolled it up and duct taped it together and put it in a cheap stuff sack. It is rolled as if you were standing beside the bike not facing it. I then took a bread knife and did a little shaping on the end facing the seat for the best fit.

I used this on a couple of 800-1000 mile 3 day trips last summer and it makes a world of difference for me. I took off the chrome rails and used Rok Straps to attach it to the grab rails.

realbtl

Postby bugsplatz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Nice!
It's something to think about.
Thanks
bugsplatz

Postby reggae5 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 pm

I finally got around to building my own. I had an old imitation leather bag I took the bottom metal grid of a cat carrier I had and used it for side reinforcing cut to size two 2 by 6 pieces of wood. Ran bolts thru the wood and the side of the bag into a backrest I got of my Exercycle that I dismantled and thru out. Lucky the color matches. Filled the bag with my rain suit. And presto a back rest.
reggae5

Postby bugsplatz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Now that really looks great as well as comfortable --- nice job and the picture shows it well!
bugsplatz

Postby Cruiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Nice! How is it fastened to the Helix?
Cruiser

Postby reggae5 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm

It isn't shown in the picture but I have a master cable lock that's the one that coils up about 6' of wire in a plastic case. I run the wire thru holes on the bottom of the sides of the bag, thru the passenger grab rails. Also when carrying my helmet I continue the wire thru the helmet jaw piece. The wire's head is thicker than the wire and I have to unlock the helmet lock on the helix and the wire fits thru there too so the bag, helmet everything is locked to the scooter.
reggae5

Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby td2dv » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 pm

I use a square 4 gallon plastic bucket, with lid, up-side-down as a backrest and all-weather storage container.I use a bungie to hold it back against the passenger backrest and hand-holds.If you'd like to sit more forward try using a kitty litter bucket. If you are fashion conscious, paint it black. My '86 is white pearl and a white bucket works fine,
denis in Minneapolis
PS
Could someone please send me a PDF copy of the repair manual that I can display on a Mac?
Thanks.[size=18]
td2dv

Postby bugsplatz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Clever idea. Might be worth a try!
Thanks
bugsplatz

Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby td2dv » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Many thanks to 'crazychile' for the generous help.
td2dv

Helix Driver Backrest?

Postby td2dv » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Many thanks for the offers of a manual, I have found one. Any of you change their front tire by hand? Progressive insurance will only write liability insurance on scooters and that seems expensive compared to my trail bike. Any alternatives to suggest? If you feel compelled to suggest I search other topics for the foregoing, please post a specific link.
td2dv

Next

Return to Honda Helix