Morphous

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

Morphous

Postby coopdway » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:19 pm

I picked one up last weekend, a scooter that some friends had and that I'd offered to buy almost two years ago. This spring they finally decided to part with it. Mechanically very sound, but it's spent some time on its side, scratches, repaint, etc.

The price was right and it looks like it will make a nice companion to BIZZIE. We'll find out if our daughter is truly serious about riding; maybe we'll be out on our paired Low Riders together this summer.

More here coopdwaycorner.blogspot.com
coopdway

Postby Don Leonardo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 am

The Morphous is the one other scooter, besides Helix, I'd really like. I like the lines.

Good Luck. Any pics yet??
08 Stella
04 Helix
76 Vespa
Don Leonardo

Postby coopdway » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Here's the link to the photo album, I compared specifications of the Helix vs. the Morph on the blog. Some interesting numbers, though I think I should go back and take a look at weight. One might have been with fluids, the other maybe not. I do know the Morph is heavier and you can feel it, though moving it in the garage is much easier because it has a tighter turning radius.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105028665348809646644/albums/5728793377033369633
coopdway

Postby morph » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:47 pm

I currently own two Helix scooters and owned a Morphous for a couple of years.

Morphous :
Pros, Incredibly smooth and stable. MUCH better in wind than the Helix. A better overall highway bike... better gearing for the highway and a slightly higher cruising and top speed. The main impression it gives is of stability and smoothness. It was rock solid on the highway, unlike the Helix which could be scary at times. It conveys quality and felt like a much more modern bike.

Cons,
Odd ergonomics.. You sit too close to the bars and dash. Everything is more scrunched up compared to the Helix. Someone who was 6'5" came to look at my Morphous and could barley get his knees under the bars. The center hump is also very wide and places your feet/legs wide apart.

More cumbersome in the city.. Windshield that directs the wind right in your chest/face. Frustratingly weak acceleration. Very poor performance in mountainous areas and or with a passenger.

It was still a great bike.. The smoothness and stability was almost enough to make me keep it.. I would get another for the right price.. but be prepared, if you live in and around a lot of hills, you will notice the small engine trying hard to push a big scoot.
morph

Postby pittguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm

I've been looking at several Morphous' and the prices seem to be reasonable (at least to this amateur). 2008's are about $3000 asking price and closer to $2700 real money, 2006's are about the same and 2007's are close to the $3000 mark also. Wholesale according to KBB, there is only a few hundred dollars difference among the three: KBB '06 is $1780, '07 is 1935 and '08 is $2110. All of the ones that I've tracked down are low miles.

I stopped at a Yamaha dealer and the service manager told me they rarely see a Morphous and when they do they're no more difficult to repair than a "normal" scooter.

Thoughts on buying one?

Pittguy
pittguy

Bought a Morphous

Postby pittguy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Yesterday I bought a 2008 Morphous with some issues; Broken lower right leg shield and where it is nicked and the former owner tried to cover the scratches with rattle can paint - bad decision. No mechanical problems so I lucked out there.Mechanically, it is a strong runner and Morph is correct in his pros & cons.

Last night I rode the PA Turnpike and the Morphous handled like it was on rails, far better than my Helix particularly when passing and overtaking large trucks. My Helix tends to get a bit squirrley at high speed (65+) on Interstates but not the Morphous. The ride was four hours and although the seat is OK it can't compare to the Helix in comfort.

High end speed on the morph is far greater than the Helix and the speedo was reading 80 mph several times in the passing lane. The Helix is an amazing piece of engineering but the technology is 26 years old and the Yahama with front and rear disc brakes, fuel injection, different weight distribution, much brighter headlight, larger wheels and overall high(er) tech makes for a superior ride.

Having said that, I believe I'll always own a Helix - hopefully an '86, my current and favorite. And a Morphous!

Pittguy
pittguy

Re: Morphous

Postby rowdyc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I didn't start this thread but might as well add to it. (I just love the old post on this site)

Just got a blue 06 Morph. I may or may not sell the Helix. I'll test ride both on the same day and make a decision. I may post with a real user review of the Helix vs Morph competition.
I've always wanted one since the first time I saw it. I got the Helix and fell in love with it but the Morph was love at first sight. I haven't ridden it but I don't expect the same good ride as the Helix. It needs a rear tire. I have to do the fluid changes and other stuff to make it ride worthy, but it cranked and the guy rode it in the parking lot. It was a deal I could not past, as I can't find many for way way under 2k like I did. After many carb cleanings, the fuel injection is a welcomed item.
rowdyc

Postby pittguy » Sat May 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Old threads are good threads and new posts tend to revive them. I own a 2008 Morphus that I offered for sale on this forum and now that the summer riding season is almost here, I'm glad I kept it.

I painted it 2002 Mustang red and today it earned its keep with a wonderful five hour ride into nearby West Virginia. I have an '86 Helix that I absolutely and totally enjoy driving but it is a different ride. The Morphous is a true road machine and IMHO the Helix is intended for short(er) trips and commutes.

I hope to keep both to satisfy my scootin' addiction but this summer I'm planning a ride from western Pennsylvania to Vermont and I need to make a decision; Helix or Morphous? Either way I win.

Pittguy
Pittsburgh, PA USA
pittguy

Postby BobM » Sat May 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi, pittguy. How about a picture of the two bikes, side by side? Why are you considering taking the Helix when you say the Morphous is a better road bike? In three weeks I'll be riding my Helix from Knoxville, TN to NYC. Last year I rode it to south Florida. Most of last year's trip was interstate. This year we hope to ride the two-lane highways. I have heard, as you say, that the Morphous has a better high end speed (which I would like on the Helix) and holds the road a little better. Let us know which bike you take and how the trip goes.

Bob :)
93 Helix
04 Suzuki Burg. 400
BobM

Postby rowdyc » Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Thinking about taking the Morphous on a Iron Butt in June and after resting, finally end up in San Diego. No interstate the entire way. A long distance scooter riding buddy and I have been discussing this for months. We booth have bigger scooters but we want a challenge. :roll: We've made hotel reservations, mapped the route, got the paper work for documenting the iron butt and even determined several points where we will prob make continue or hotel decisions. Still sorta of leery about this, as my longest one day ride has only been about 450 miles but that weekend we raked up over 1300 miles of riding. (larger scooters of course). If I decide to do it, I will prob blog and start a post about it. More than likely, I'll blog it but only post publicly if I complete it. :P

Anyway, the Morphous does handle better than the Helix during higher speed, but the Helix take off is much better. Since I've installed the tall windshield, riding the Morphous is real nice. Still have a few things I need to do to get it Iron Butt ready. I hope.....
rowdyc

Postby pittguy » Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 pm

I need to figure out how to install a trunk with a backrest because IMHO a backrest is a requirement for a long trip. Another site (Maxi Scoots then scroll to Yamaha) has photos of a home made installation that I believe is well engineered and this is probably what I'll go with for a backrest.

Several years ago I rode from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh on a large road bike, a Yamaha Venture Royale, without a backrest. Never again as a backrest is necessary, at least for me, on any day-long ride over 300 miles.

Either the Helix or Morphous will provide a great ride but without a backrest, I'm not sure it'll be as enjoyable. My concern is top end speed and the Helix is a bit slower. Unfortunately there are areas where there are no secondary roads For example, San Bernadino to Las Vegas on I-15 is the only road and traffic moves much faster than my Helix 70+ mph but the upside is the Helix has an understressed engine built to handle full bore top speed for hours without hurting the engine. Recently I rode the Morphous on a local Interstate and 80 mph was the scoot's normal speed.

Topography is a factor and the Helix takes hills much better than the Morphous so that's a tradeoff. In either case I recommend using synthetic rather than regular oil because oil changes will be necessary on an Iron Butt trip.

Just my 2 cents. And I'll post pictures of both cycles when I have a few minutes to figure out how to do it. I'm way behind the technology curve (I still use a flip cell phone) but I'm learning.

Pittguy
pittguy

Postby BobM » Mon May 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Pittguy, interesting what you said about the Morphous/Helix and hill climbing. I had considered putting the higher numbered rollers/sliders in the variator to get more speed on the highway (I top out at 72 unless there is a downhill or back wind). However, I think that if I did, the bike might have the characteristics of the Morphous, i.e., better speed on the flat roads, but slower on the hills. And since everything around Knoxville starts with a hill, I thlink I'll just stick with the stock rollers. Both of you guys have some interesting trips planned. Be sure and give us a report when the riding's done.

93 Helix
04 Suzuki Burg. 400
BobM

Postby rowdyc » Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm

In order to get the morphous ready for the trip, I've installed a taller windshield and backrest from eBay. Also put on a ram mount phone holder and power plugs for phone and another accessory. I just need to find a place where they sell a set of organs with fortitude :mrgreen: so I can have the guts to complete this trip.
rowdyc

Postby BobM » Wed May 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Rowdyc, Getting this close, if you don't make the trips, you'll always regret it. You know, we seldom regret the things we do and often regret the things we wanted to do but never did. And having a riding buddy to go along makes it twice as much fun and twice as easy. One of my sons is my riding buddy. We make at least one good trip a year and are planning the next trip before the current one is over. In three weeks we are riding from Knoxville to New York City, camping all the way and while there. I can hardly wait. Last year was south Florida. And we're already talking about next year. And if you and Pittguy make your trips, then I can also experience them vicariously. So, if you make the trips, you've got to share them with the rest of us and let us share the adventure.

93 Helix
04 Suzuki Burg. 400
BobM

Postby pittguy » Fri May 31, 2013 6:20 pm

I agree with BobM, just do it and trust me, you'll be glad you made it happen. I've benefited from several long(er) rides e.g., Los Angeles to Pittsburgh, Blue Ridge Parkway, southern Canada, etc. and I never looked back. These are times that dissolve quickly and if you don't take advantage of the opportunity (and time) you'll be among the shoulda, woulda, coulda, group and that ain't where you want to live.

Four basics IMHO are required: New tires/Can of Fix a Flat, $100 cash and a credit card. And a reliable Morphous is a good way to get it done.

Pittguy
pittguy

Next

Return to Other Scooters