Final drive oil

Brands, pricing, parts, reviews etcetera

Postby reggae5 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:27 pm

If I remember correctly the difference was the gear oil had more addivtives.

Interesting how this 4 year old thread got started up again
reggae5

Postby tweakinreaper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Under closer inspection of the Honda GL-5 fluid I noticed it is 80W90 HYPOID gear oil for goldwings and shaft drive cycles. so I'm guessing it would work but I would rather not guess about getting the right gear lube.
'96 HH (my 1st)
tweakinreaper

Postby Cruiser » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 pm

It must not be to terriabbly important! Because my service manual lists a "new" option of 10W40 motor oil, above that in the book it calls for 90 wgt. gear oil. :roll: I'll just stick with the gear oil.
Cruiser

Re:

Postby Slick Tenn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:53 am

Teddy da Bear wrote:Al.....I am going to have to change it too. I am at 12,600 miles.
But from what I remember. The service manual gave a choice of
40weight oil or hypoid oil. Now fellas.....to me these are two VERY
different types of lubricant. One is a gear lubricant and one is a
machine oil.

Can anyone out there help us? Can you decifer the meaning of Honda's
madness?
WARNING! This was a major point at Amsoil University when I attended some years ago. Regular motor oil (dino or synthetic) MUST BE CHANGED NO LATER THAN ONE YEAR. It begins to break down and acidify, and can damage your components. If you have a service manual that says either one (motor oil or gear oil) will work, ALWAYS CHOOSE THE GEAR OIL. It is designed to give extended service. HINT: Just because it's easier with the rear wheel off, I change my rear drive oil every time I change the rear tire.
Slick Tenn

Re: Final drive oil

Postby kz1000st » Tue May 05, 2015 10:46 am

I just did the gear oil change on my Fashion when I did the drive belt and used 75W-90 gear oil. You can see the bolt to fill the case at the back with the cover on, but the drain plug can only be accessed with the drive case cover off. The stupid thing is that the Reflex engine has the drain at the bottom and can be filled through the level inspection bolt. I've done both.
kz1000st

Postby zozman » Tue May 31, 2016 7:17 pm

If there are gears in the transmission case, use 75W90 synthetic gear oil. The viscosity resembles 40 weight SAE oil. The purpose of synthetic gear oil is to prevent shearing when the gears mesh.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Jim Wills » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:59 am

My current Helix is a 1991 model having 30,000 miles on it at time of purchase, and with no previous history known - except that it has previously been attacked by 'Murphy' a gent without any mechanical knowledge - but he was extremely good at destroying panels by ripping them off and breaking most of the tabs off....

Sorting 'Murphy's ' work has taken time which has involved doing a complete cvt overhaul, oil changes as well as a few replacement parts. When it comes to oil the reprinted service manual is no help at all and is a disgrace to the Honda name through ignoring the type of lubricant to be used in the final drive unit which is built and lubricated entirely seperately from the engine, grouping the final drive and engine together for lubrication purposes is ludricrous because while its ok to use 10-w-40 in the engine the final drive consists of intermeshing spur gears that need a high viscosity lubricant to avoid the shear component always present with such drives; for this reason I'm draining and refilling using an SAE 90 grade oil that is designed for such use - to do anything else is to plan for catastrophic failure and an expensive rebuild - or part out the scoot for spares!

Helix and their type need preserving!

Jim
Jim Wills

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Jim Wills wrote:My current Helix is a 1991 model having 30,000 miles on it at time of purchase, and with no previous history known - except that it has previously been attacked by 'Murphy' a gent without any mechanical knowledge - but he was extremely good at destroying panels by ripping them off and breaking most of the tabs off....

Sorting 'Murphy's ' work has taken time which has involved doing a complete cvt overhaul, oil changes as well as a few replacement parts. When it comes to oil the reprinted service manual is no help at all and is a disgrace to the Honda name through ignoring the type of lubricant to be used in the final drive unit which is built and lubricated entirely seperately from the engine, grouping the final drive and engine together for lubrication purposes is ludricrous because while its ok to use 10-w-40 in the engine the final drive consists of intermeshing spur gears that need a high viscosity lubricant to avoid the shear component always present with such drives; for this reason I'm draining and refilling using an SAE 90 grade oil that is designed for such use - to do anything else is to plan for catastrophic failure and an expensive rebuild - or part out the scoot for spares!

Helix and their type need preserving!

Jim

Jim, I would do the same in the final drive/trans as you suggested, but the manual does say to use 10-w40 motor oil; the same as in the motor.

That being said, my new Harley came with the same oil in all three holes, motor, primary and trans. I've swapped out all three to different brands than Harley's Syn-3 synthetic oil. I use Amsoil in the motor, Red Line Primary in the primary and their Red Line Heavy Shockproof in the trans. The Shockproof oil is in the 100-140 W gear lube with good climbing tendencies on the gears. In other words it sticks to the gears very well.

Late model Honda GL-1800 Gold Wings have cast into their final drive, "Use Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80".

Again, I'm with you on the higher weight oil, but Honda has been making bikes for many decades and I'm sure they know what they're doing. So 10-w40 will probably be okay in a little scoot like this.

They are not running hypoid type gears in the trans on these scoots, they're running spur type gears that run parallel with each other. So there really is no shearing pressure, just straight tooth to tooth pressure.

I think we're good either way motor oil or rear end lube.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Previous

Return to Helix Clones