My first Helix ...

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Re: My first Helix ...

Postby Dale Gribble » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:56 am

Started reassembly tonight , got the last of the parts in today and an unexpected evening off from work . Decided to have some addressable color changing leds installed as well for some inner and under glow. They will be contained behind all 3 grilles and behind the lower panels . Couldn’t find anything except OEM seats or stupid slip covers so I had a custom seat and backrest stitched up . Should have it all back together in the next few days . I just set the front on to see it together with most of the new parts ... next stop , pinstriping .... :mrgreen:

Dale Gribble

Postby Frisco Helix » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Dale is the boss.
1987 Candy Glory Red
Frisco Helix

Postby Dale Gribble » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 am

Painted the lowers a GM gunmetal matte finish to tie in with the seat . Got the LED strips mounted in the rear lowers and emblems on ..... hoping to finish reassembly this week or early next week .... if it wasn’t for the LED stuff I’d be done already .many feet of wiring , programming to do yet ... integrating 2018 tech to a 1986 piece isn’t the easiest thing to do ..... but it is worth it .....

Dale Gribble

Postby birdmannn101 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 am

Looking good Dale. Where did you buy the Gun Metal Gray paint? Is there a label and number on the can? I want to get the same paint for mine.
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby Dale Gribble » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

It’s code WA8915 mixed in Nason basecoat topped with 2 coats of 496-00 Nason clear with a gloss retarder .
Dale Gribble

Postby Dale Gribble » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 am

Kind of a boring behind the scenes look today . Completed the harness for the LED lighting . I’m OCD about wiring placement , even with wires you will never see . Tomorrow we should be firing the lights off for a test run.

Dale Gribble

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Dale,

I can appreciate all the work on your Helix to make it yours, nice work.

But, not to be a jerk about it, why in the world did you not spend "some" time while it was all stripped down to de-grease and power wash the frame and all other under components???

I guess when I do something like this I want the whole package to reflect my efforts, not just a nice sparkling paint job on the outside.

Again I apologize for the above comment, but your job is only half done if you don't do some housekeeping underneath.

Strictly my thoughts only and do not reflect the view of anyone else on the forum. Okay you can call me a jerk!

Humor me and just do some clean up down under... :)
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby birdmannn101 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Wish I could find the same paint in a rattle can. Hard to find a good paint shop, buy paint and have it done.
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby Dale Gribble » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Dan_Lockwood wrote:Dale,

But, not to be a jerk about it, why in the world did you not spend "some" time while it was all stripped down to de-grease and power wash the frame and all other under components???

I guess when I do something like this I want the whole package to reflect my efforts, not just a nice sparkling paint job on the outside.

Again I apologize for the above comment, but your job is only half done if you don't do some housekeeping underneath.

Strictly my thoughts only and do not reflect the view of anyone else on the forum. Okay you can call me a jerk!

I’m not a fan of blasting cleaners and high pressure water at the various harnesses and components and risking corrosion and possibly failure . I’m not a mechanic , and I don’t play one on tv . It’s had routine maintenance done to keep it reliable . A little accumulated road grime isn’t hurting it in my eyes . I’m pulling parts you can see for cleaning and freshening up , like the muffler and belt cover , but beyond that , meh ...

Edit - forgot , I did blow the 30 years of accumulated bugs out of the radiator , so that has to count for something ....
Dale Gribble

Postby Dale Gribble » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 pm

birdmannn101 wrote:Wish I could find the same paint in a rattle can. Hard to find a good paint shop, buy paint and have it done.

Auto paint stores can pump any color into a spray can . Kind of expensive (around 30$ a can here ) but if you don’t have the equipment or knowledge it’s the best way to go .

Or you could ship the panels here for color ..... :mrgreen:
Dale Gribble

Postby Dale Gribble » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Dale Gribble

Postby Frisco Helix » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Dale Gribble wrote:Lights on test !!

https://youtu.be/4OppfLsHQds

It's like a flying saucer straight outta Star Wars. Alien scooters have arrived from another planet and are landing!!!
1987 Candy Glory Red
Frisco Helix

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 am

Dale Gribble wrote:
Dan_Lockwood wrote:Dale,

I’m not a fan of blasting cleaners and high pressure water at the various harnesses and components and risking corrosion and possibly failure . I’m not a mechanic , and I don’t play one on tv . It’s had routine maintenance done to keep it reliable . A little accumulated road grime isn’t hurting it in my eyes . I’m pulling parts you can see for cleaning and freshening up , like the muffler and belt cover , but beyond that , meh ...

Edit - forgot , I did blow the 30 years of accumulated bugs out of the radiator , so that has to count for something ....

Dale, I respect you for your convictions with your project. The outside is looking quite nice.

If you're not into pressure washers per se, you might check out the air blow guns that siphon liquid, like Simple Green or other degreasers, with just the air from your air compressor. I've got a couple and they work very well with a very controlled narrow discharge so you can keep away from vital areas while getting into others without any hazards. The price ranges depending on where you purchase, but I don't think I paid more than $15 for either of mine and they have no moving parts other than the air trigger itself.

But as you say, it's been maintained and in good running order, so that's the important thing.

I think you're inspiring many on the forum to do some outside the normal of upgrades. Nice work!
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Dale Gribble » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:44 am

Dale Gribble

Postby Dale Gribble » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 am

Been at the striper for a few weeks . He’s 77 years old , so I didn’t expect it back in 2 days ... I dropped in the other day to check out his progress ... I was presently surprised ...

Dale Gribble

PreviousNext

Return to Honda Helix