Honda Big ruckus questions

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

Honda Big ruckus questions

Postby Av8er » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 am

So I just bought an 06 Big ruckus with 4000 miles on her. She is a single owner and has been well maintained. Once I got her home and in my garage, I notice a fuel smell coming from the air filter area. Carb is not leaking anywhere but after pulling the boot from the carb intake, it’s wet with fuel. After talking with others it appears to be the intake valve letting compression blow the fuel back through the carb. I adjusted the valves while running and again while cold but it’s still doing it. Has anyone run into this issue with a helix? Also the fan seems to run a lot more than I thought it would. When I am just cruising around in 40mph roads if I come to a stop light the fan is running sometimes. It will shut off for about 10 seconds but come back on again. To me this seems excessive. Is this normal on the helix? I know there isn’t much out there since this is a kinda rare scoot but figured I would ask y’all anyway.
Av8er

Re: Honda Big ruckus questions

Postby dbcooper » Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 am

dbcooper

Postby Av8er » Sun May 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks!! It ended up that it was leaking but not much. Bowl seal had cracked. Thanks for the link, I will be sure to use it. My wife likes riding it so I am on the hunt for her a helix!
Av8er

Postby zozman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Av8er wrote:... Also the fan seems to run a lot more than I thought it would. When I am just cruising around in 40mph roads if I come to a stop light the fan is running sometimes. It will shut off for about 10 seconds but come back on again. To me this seems excessive. Is this normal on the helix? I know there isn’t much out there since this is a kinda rare scoot but figured I would ask y’all anyway.

I own two Helixes and two BRs and one Elite CH 250.

The fan thermostat switch on the Elite turns the fan on when the coolant in the radiator reaches 208 degrees F. The fan thermostat switch on the Helix turns the fan on when the coolant in the radiator reaches 199 degrees F.

The fan on the PS250 Big Ruckus has a unique temperature overlap sensor incorporated into the fan switch (377760-MT2-003). The fan comes on at 208-216 degrees F. The fan goes off from 196-210 degrees F. That overlap causes on-off cycling once in awhile. (ref. BR service manual 1-5)

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Av8er » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm

That would make sense. I love my Big Ruckus but at the same time I love the Helix I bought for my wife. I always have a hard time deciding which one to ride.

Thanks again.
Av8er

Return to Other Scooters