Changing tires -what else do I need?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Changing tires -what else do I need?

Postby smcnutt » Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am

I have a 1986 Helix and it's time to put some new tires on it. Based on the suggestions here it looks like the Bridgestone Molas XL16/17 are the ones to get. Looks like about $100 for the set from Amazon. Based on the Service Manual, it seems to be an easy enough job to do but I plan to have a shop actually mount the new tires to the rim. Beyond that, I wouldn't trust them to work on the scooter -didn't work well last time as I had to bring it home in pieces and reassemble it myself. Long sad story. :roll:

However, my question is what else do I need to get to complete the job? I seem to remember that in order to remove the rear tire I will need to remove the muffler. Is there a gasket that I will need to replace when I reinstall?

I'm also thinking that while I have the wheel off I should replace the rear brake pads. While the rear brakes will still lock-up when I press it to the floor, they are definitely worn as I CAN press it to the floor.

Any other parts/items that I should have on hand before I start taking things apart? Any special trick/tips

How about supporting the scooter while I remove the rear tire? Should I just put it on top of a milk-crate or do I need a stand like this one from Harbor Freight ?https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html
smcnutt

Re: Changing tires -what else do I need?

Postby charlie55 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 pm

Whether you turn out to actually need it or not, having a backup exhaust gasket (part #18391-MB0-891) is always a good idea.

The rear brake is adjustable by tightening the nut on the end of the brake cable connected to the actuating arm on the rear hub. Once you get it to a satisfactory point, check the wear indicator (also on the rear hub). If it's aligned with the "time to replace" mark, then you need new pads. However, they're cheap enough that replacing them "while you're in the neighborhood" never hurts. You should also take the opportunity to make sure that the actuating arm/cam are in good shape. Clean and lubricate.

If you're on the center stand, the rear wheel is already off the ground, so no need for a jack.

It's been a while, but I think you also need to move the right rear shock out of the way in order to be able to pull the wheel off the drive spindle. Once you get the bottom unbolted, you sort of have to lever it off the swing arm. When reinstalling, you similarly have to lever it back on. A long screwdriver is usually enough to do the trick. Just get it between the bottom of the shock and the swing arm attachment point and pry.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby Cruiser » Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm

What Charlie said.
Plus this is a good time to clean and repaint the muffler.
I have had extremely good luck and can usually reuse the muffler gasket. It usually stays in the muffler pipe, I put lots of spit on it when reassembling, do it gently, do not force it. Do not ever remove the manifold part that is bolted to the head, unless it is leaking.
Cruiser

Postby birdmannn101 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:11 am

You will need a can of HT paint for the muffler to touch it up. A good torque wrench to tighten that wheel nut is a good idea since some of them come loose.
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby smcnutt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Well I got the tires and the best price I could find to have them mounted is $30 each. That's with me removing the tire from the bike and bringing it and the new tires to them. That's nearly 50% of the cost of buying the tires themselves. Ouch.
smcnutt

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:24 pm

smcnutt wrote:Well I got the tires and the best price I could find to have them mounted is $30 each. That's with me removing the tire from the bike and bringing it and the new tires to them. That's nearly 50% of the cost of buying the tires themselves. Ouch.

I'd check around some. That is about 30 minuets work for both, if they have the proper tools! Maybe less.
Cruiser

Postby smcnutt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:45 pm

I can't get either of the axle nuts to budge. Am I missing something?

Everything else (muffler clamp etc) came apart easily. That just makes it all the more frustrating. :x

Well, the end of the speedometer cable where the screw attaches it cracked in half when I unscrewed it. Not sure if that is replaceable but that's for another day.
smcnutt

Postby smcnutt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm

By the way mine is a 1987 and I see in the service manual that the axle nut/washer is different but I doubt that matters here
smcnutt

Postby smcnutt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I set the parking brake on the rear wheel and try to turn the axle nut but it won't budge. Even standing on the wrench. If the brake isn't set the axle will just spin. I've tried putting penetrating oil on the nuts but no help. The threads look good and clean with no rust or damage. Still no luck on the front or back axle. The front is just the same.

Maybe more time for the penetrating oil to work? Maybe I need to get an impact wrench? Blow torch or small explosive :roll: just very frustrating.
smcnutt

Postby Cruiser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:16 am

I had an 87 barn find, with 8000 miles, that gave me the same problem. Lots of penetrating oil, an impact wrench finally freed those! Mine had the original tires which meant those nuts had been on there for 30 years! :shock:
Cruiser

Return to Honda Helix