FINALLY... Got some pictures of my Helix

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

FINALLY... Got some pictures of my Helix

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Well I've owned this now for a couple years, but it's just been setting inside my buddy's garage about 2.5 hours away from me.

It's a '98 with 603 miles on it. It has a few scratches on the front left corner in the red and a couple on the right just above the front side marker.

The dash and headlight housing look brand new without any hazing or fog in the plastic. The seat has a couple minor rips, but that's about it. The inside trunk liner is in great shape and the tool kit has never been taken out of the storage slot since new.

There doesn't seem to be any hairline cracks in the rubber carb adapter, but I will buy the reinforcement kit when I get the scooter home and get it back running again.

I'll change all the fluids, tires and give it a good cleaning in general. I'll run the auto belt drive through its full speed range to make sure everything is still working as it should.

So here are a few pictures of the new beast:

Those are NOT stripes, but sun glare through the window.

Is there a plastic dressing that will remove the discoloration in the lower body panels so they're all the same color? Or will I have to paint them so they all match again?

It will get degreased and then lightly pressure washed inside.

Should be a hoot to ride as I'm a Harley guy. Although in my mid teens homemade mini bikes were all my cousins and I rode.

If anyone has any suggestions on a plan of attack to get it road worthy, any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great week.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Re: FINALLY... Got some pictures of my Helix

Postby wilsongj » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi, Greg from France here, I took the black plastic off my Helix and used a heat gun and starting in a 'hidden' place, flowed the heat around the panels. Be careful that you don't get the panels too hot as they will droop. If you can, get any old panel that has faded off any crashed machine to practice on, from a friendly bike shop. It is easy when you get the knack!
wilsongj

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:44 pm

wilsongj wrote:Hi, Greg from France here, I took the black plastic off my Helix and used a heat gun and starting in a 'hidden' place, flowed the heat around the panels. Be careful that you don't get the panels too hot as they will droop. If you can, get any old panel that has faded off any crashed machine to practice on, from a friendly bike shop. It is easy when you get the knack!

WILSONGJ, thanks for the tip.

I can see how that might work. I've got a couple heat guns and they both have hi/lo speeds so I think I can find a happy temperature.

It may be easier to just get an old part, like you said, and try that first.

Thanks again for the help.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:13 pm

I just found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQs2ik1dzzE

This is the heat gun method.

I also found many liquid detailers that seem to work, but not sure how long they last.

As wilsongj says, use caution with the heat gun. You are literally melting the top surface of the plastic on all the little nubbys in the material.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby slonaker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm

The chemicals that return plastic to black have been discussed many times in the past. A search should yield a lot of info.

I have used the heat gun method on some parts on my golf cart, and it worked quite well.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cruiser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm

I have used this dye on two Helix restorations. I am a firm believer of Forever Black.
https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Bumper-I ... ever+black
Cruiser

Postby slonaker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:42 pm

slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cruiser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm

slonaker wrote:https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/05/best-exterior-car-trim-cleaners/index.htm

Patrick

They did not test Forever Black, Forever Black got mine more black then any of the test samples shown!
Cruiser

Postby blipco » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 pm

How about you just turn the ignition, start 'er up and ride. Don't bother looking down at the floor boards.
blipco

Postby wilsongj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 am

Blipco, that is the best answer ever! Just ride. I am off to Spain in June in the Helix, riding to Canfranc Station, then in July to the south of Spain on the Majesty with the 'boss'.
wilsongj

Postby Frisco Helix » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Cruiser wrote:
slonaker wrote:https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/05/best-exterior-car-trim-cleaners/index.htm

Patrick

They did not test Forever Black, Forever Black got mine more black then any of the test samples shown!

Wow, I am gonna go buy this now based on your raving reviews.

I always used the Armor All stuff but it never really got black black, just grey. I use that stuff on my car dashboard and trim too, I swear by it.

But I * need * that jet black color on my Helix. Thank you for your suggestion!
1987 Candy Glory Red
Frisco Helix

Postby G-Dub » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 pm

I highly recommend 303 Protectant for plastic, vinyl and rubber. If the black isn't too far gone, it will make it look almost new again. (On the worst areas maybe do heat gun and then 303.) I do a liberal application, then another a few days later. Will protect from future UV degradation.
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Postby Cruiser » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am

Forever Black first to renew the color, then a protectant to preserve it.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... KWJN5X6HUO
Cruiser

Postby G-Dub » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 am

I see...Forever Black is a dye. Wish I had known about that back when I had my PT Cruiser with faded gray bumpers. I tried every topical I could find and nothing worked on it.
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Postby Cruiser » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm

G-Dub wrote:I see...Forever Black is a dye. Wish I had known about that back when I had my PT Cruiser with faded gray bumpers. I tried every topical I could find and nothing worked on it.

And it lasts, I have two 87s that I used Forever Black on five years ago, and they are as black as the day I dyed them.
Cruiser

Return to Honda Helix