New Guy on the Block

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

New Guy on the Block

Postby jschance » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 am

New guy stepping up here.

I just picked up a 1986 Honda Helix that is a true 'barn find'. It's got less than 3000 miles on it and appears to be in relatively good shape, other than the ravenges of time brought about by years of neglect. So far I've removed all the body panels and pulled the gas tank to clean it. I dumped out about a gallon of brown goo that could be described as 'gas' only if you've never seen gasoline before, along with about a cup of granulated rust. The fuel line leading to the filter, and the filter itself are both packed with rust, so somebody attempted to start it prior to my ownership.

It should be an adventure bringing this scooter back among the living, hopefully I can find some needed help here on the forum.

jschance
jschance

Re: New Guy on the Block

Postby zozman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Hello Chance and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I recommend on a different scooter acquisition is to remove the body panels. You can tell alot about a scooter on what's undeneath. You did that-great!

I recommend you not clean the gas tank but procuring a new one along with a new gas filter. The fuel pump if it swallowed some rust would be OK. Next would be that rust clogging the jets on the carburetor. I'd rebuild the carburetor also.

Let us know how you're faring.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Re: New Guy on the Block

Postby txbiker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Chance, I think I can match you with my find and rusty tank problems. On Jan 2018, I picked up a 1993 Helix with 1937 miles, last registered in 2000. I did the muriatic acid trick on the gas tank. Got about .5gal of rust and I can still hear it rattling around when I shake the tank. Found and purchased a new tank for a Helix/Fusion for ~$100, still dont know if that was a good move or not. Gas level sensor may not fit. I have decided to sell if off a dozen times but sure would like to get back on road again.
txbiker
txbiker

Return to Honda Helix