New to me 05

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

New to me 05

Postby dbcooper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm

It seems like I need to give it a lot of throttle to get it started to move. Once it is going every thing is fine. In looking at how everything works it seems like it may be a slider issue. Either that or carb. It doesn't spit or sputter. It just doesn't take of smoothly like I think it should. Any insight?
dbcooper

Re: New to me 05

Postby scootcat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm

What Is top speed, maybe you have heavy rollers.
scootcat

Postby G-Dub » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm

I know "a lot of throttle" is very subjective, but I feel mine is the same. I didn't think the variator roller weights had much to do with when the clutch engages, as they all start at the same place. (The only way I can think of that they would affect this is if the rollers start moving out before the clutch engages, which could foreseeably happen if you run heavy weights.) The clutch pads are weighted, and that will affect engagement point. I don't know how the Helix is, but on some other scooters you have to glue in additional weights to change how it came from the factory - not easily adjustable like the variator. You don't really want it to hook up too soon, as it gives you a little wiggle room to rev it gently without it taking off unexpectedly. Also gives you a little more acceleration when it does go, like revving a car and popping the clutch.

Still, it should take off smoothly regardless, so if you haven't lately, it wouldn't hurt to thoroughly check the drive system.
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Postby zozman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am

dbcooper wrote:It seems like I need to give it a lot of throttle to get it started to move. Once it is going every thing is fine. In looking at how everything works it seems like it may be a slider issue. Either that or carb. It doesn't spit or sputter. It just doesn't take of smoothly like I think it should. Any insight?

How many miles are on the scooter?

I would recommend to take the left side trunk lower cover plastic off then the left side crankcase cover and see what it looks like with the drive train.

With the scooter on its centerstand and not running, spin the rear wheel and listen for bearing or dragging sounds. With the scooter on its centerstand and running, throttle the rear wheel and listen for bearing or dragging sounds or any binding sounds.

Since the cover is off, disassemble the variator and replace the weight rollers with the Helix pinks. Forget all the grease in there, you don't need any.

If the drive belt is crazed or cracked due to high mileage, replace it. Spin the clutch and see if you hear excessive bearing sounds. Replace if necessary. Change the transmission oil.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby dbcooper » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 pm

zozman wrote:
dbcooper wrote:It seems like I need to give it a lot of throttle to get it started to move. Once it is going every thing is fine. In looking at how everything works it seems like it may be a slider issue. Either that or carb. It doesn't spit or sputter. It just doesn't take of smoothly like I think it should. Any insight?

How many miles are on the scooter?

I would recommend to take the left side trunk lower cover plastic off then the left side crankcase cover and see what it looks like with the drive train.

With the scooter on its centerstand and not running, spin the rear wheel and listen for bearing or dragging sounds. With the scooter on its centerstand and running, throttle the rear wheel and listen for bearing or dragging sounds or any binding sounds.

Since the cover is off, disassemble the variator and replace the weight rollers with the Helix pinks. Forget all the grease in there, you don't need any.

If the drive belt is crazed or cracked due to high mileage, replace it. Spin the clutch and see if you hear excessive bearing sounds. Replace if necessary. Change the transmission oil.

zoz

1785 original miles
dbcooper

Postby zozman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:57 pm

With 1700 miles, that's not really enough to wear out the rollers but may have a dry bearing or something. Your 2005 has been sitting for awhile it looks like.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby dbcooper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:12 pm

What rpm should the clutch be engaging? If I throttle up slowly it engages at what seems to high an rpm. If I'm abrupt with the throttle it will rev and engage abruptly, like so abrupt you better have the front wheel straight.
dbcooper

Postby zozman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 pm

dbcooper wrote:What rpm should the clutch be engaging? ...

That information is not specified in the service manual. However, idle is specified in the service manual as 1200-1500 rpm. With your scooter on its centerstand and idling, the rear wheel should turn slightly. That appears to be the earliest the clutch engages.

What was discovered when you removed the left side cover?

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby dbcooper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Waiting for winter to take it apart. I can deal with it for now.
dbcooper

Postby G-Dub » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Just for reference my clutch engages between 2000 and 2200 rpm.
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Return to Honda Helix