99 Helix will not start

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

99 Helix will not start

Postby helix2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello all,

New to the forum and cannot get my 99 Helix to start. I rode it one day and the next day, no starting. Here's what I have tried so far. The battery is good. 12.6 volts. I thought it would be the brake switch so I did the bypass. Nothing. No click. The headlight will dim when I hit the starter button but that is all.

Next I bought a new solenoid from Honda. Nothing. It will turn the starter when I jump across it. The old one would too. Then I tried the side stand switch. Nothing. Same symptoms. All lights come on when I turn the ignition switch on. I have ohmed the brake switch and the kickstand switch and they seem to be working correctly.

I was going to test the ignition switch next, but it looks like it is not easy to unplug.

Any suggestions? Thanks for letting me join.
helix2

Re: 99 Helix will not start

Postby Scooterboy45 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

12.6 volts may not be good enough. The battery should be more like 13.8. The voltage is 12 volt like most cars so you can try to jump start the scoot off your car battery. If you have cranked the scoot a lot in your effort to start it you may have flooded the cylinder with gas. smell the oil. If it smells like gas do an oil change. Let the board know how you make out.
Neil in MA.
Scooterboy45

Postby birdmannn101 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Clean the battery connections and ALSO the end of the negative ground wire that runs off the battery and connects to metal on the frame.

I am sure that you checked the 2 fuses, one in the glovebox https://postimg.cc/mhkZqf2h

... and the other one on the starter control relay https://postimg.cc/bSZz2bF1
95 Helix
97 Helix
65 C102
birdmannn101

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

Scooterboy45 wrote:12.6 volts may not be good enough. The battery should be more like 13.8. The voltage is 12 volt like most cars so you can try to jump start the scoot off your car battery. If you have cranked the scoot a lot in your effort to start it you may have flooded the cylinder with gas. smell the oil. If it smells like gas do an oil change. Let the board know how you make out.

This is just my opinion, but I doubt you'll find a resting state non running battery at 13.8v. I would expect the 12.6v as a more normal voltage for a non running vehicle. Once running, it should creep up to between the 13.8v to 14.4v mark as it's charging.

As long as the voltage stays above 11v to 12v during cranking, I doubt that it's a battery low voltage issue.

I can attest to the fact that MSD performance ignition boxes for performance inboard boats DO require a battery cranking voltage of near 12v or they will not fire. But that's a whole other discussion...

I think others have suggested other places to look, but I did want to throw in my 2¢ about the battery.

Good luck.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby zozman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 pm

How do you know the battery is good? How old is the battery? A battery can test 12v when resting but when you really need it on cranking, 8 volts. Put a load test on your battery to find out what it does on a cranking test.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Or just leave the volt meter on the battery while trying to start it. See how far down it drops.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby blipco » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Try rapping on the ecu with a screwdriver if it won't fire. Or better yet, unplug both connectors then plug them in again. See if that works.
Report back.
blipco

Postby helix2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Found it!!

Thanks to all the responses. Great board! As usual, I took everything apart instead of asking here first. I had forgotten that there was another fuse panel in the glovebox. Thanks to the user that pointed that out and all of the other good suggestions.

Burnt start fuse. 5 amp. I am sure it was original. Put a new one in and fired right up.

Thanks again!!
helix2

Return to Honda Helix