Keeping screw's in., while riding.

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Keeping screw's in., while riding.

Postby albie9 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 am

Albie9 here. I'm just wondering if anyone else has problems with the screws that hold the lower plastic panels on. Mine keep falling out. Any ideas on how to keep them in?
albie9

Re: Keeping screw's in., while riding.

Postby wilsongj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:09 am

Hi there albi, I have no problems with mine, sometimes they are a devil to undo. The first thing that comes to mind, is do you have any feeling of vibration and I know it sounds a daft question, but have you done them up tight enough?
wilsongj

Postby charlie55 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I use 'arts and crafts' mounting putty like the product pictured below. Just grab a pea-sized blob and work it into the threads of the screw before fastening. It's tacky enough to prevent the screws from loosening, but remains soft and won't impede their removal when the need arises.

Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm not sure of the size hole in the plastic that seems to be a "bit stripped", but on my Harley I have a couple inner fairing screws that need just a little help.

I cut off the pointed tips of the smaller cable ties and just stick the short piece in the hole and then screw in the screw. The plastic is press formed out into the threads and I've had no issues since.

Also a short piece of wood toothpick works the same way.

Good luck with your loose screws.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Cruiser » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Most of the body screws on the Helix thread into clips. Make sure you have the correct size screw for the clip being used.
Cruiser

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am

Cruiser wrote:Most of the body screws on the Helix thread into clips. Make sure you have the correct size screw for the clip being used.

Cruiser, that would make more sense. I have yet to get me Helix home as it's still down at the Lake in my buddy's garage. I've been walking by it for the past three years when my wife and I are down there.

So when I get mine home and start to fiddle with it, I'm sure that I will learn a few things like clips, not blind holes in plastic panels. Most clips can be purchased at auto parts stores if they're worn a bit. Also tapping down the little flared clips as they wear can sometimes tighten up the thread hole to grip a bit better.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Return to Honda Helix