Im in fellow Helixers! And Im having trouble cooling down...

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Im in fellow Helixers! And Im having trouble cooling down...

Postby pendlemr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Got a beauty 1998 Cherry Red Helix in awesome shape for a VERY small cost. You may have seen the ad in my local Facebook in South Carolina. So far so good (except I have to get a moto license). Replaced the carb and battery and it jams!! Currently overheating a bit tho when idling. I've read thru posts and heard some folks say there is a fan by the radiator should switch on and Ive never heard it come on so that is my current fix. It cools down when riding then will overheat on idle, and its winter in the south. Whoever uploaded the manual is the true MVP (THANK YOU!!). Im going to inspect by taking off all the panels like manual says but any tips would be appreciated!
pendlemr

Re: Im in fellow Helixers! And Im having trouble cooling dow

Postby zozman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 pm

How do you know it's overheating?

If it's you just watching the bars on the temperature gauge-that's erroneous. Those temperature bars are not exact.

Go to page 20-8 in the service manual and test the thermosensor which is at the bottom of the radiator. You can also test the fan there too. The fan comes on anywhere between 197-208 degrees.

Test the operating temperature of the radiator at idle full warm up with a infared thermometer.

Change the coolant in your "new" scooter.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby pendlemr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am

Well now that you mention it I dont know for sure if its overheating but just from going by the dash system it appears to be, and the lack of fan that I dont hear. I dont want to blow the head or anything so Im trouble-shooting at this point. After about 5 minutes of good riding and turning off I hear the pops and cracks that I assume are normal for engines that have been running for awhile, but have not yet tested the actual temperature. I dont have a lot of fancy tools and gauges yet so just going step by step. So you are saying the IS a fan that should come on..? And you can hear it over the idle ? I havent heard any fan at all, unless it is super quiet and my Helix heats up when sitting idle and will cool down when riding, per the temp gauge readings. Thank you for responding!
pendlemr

Postby zozman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:03 pm

pendlemr wrote:... I dont know for sure if its overheating but just from going by the dash system it appears to be, and the lack of fan that I dont hear. ... but have not yet tested the actual temperature. ... So you are saying the IS a fan that should come on..? And you can hear it over the idle ? I havent heard any fan at all, unless it is super quiet and my Helix heats up when sitting idle and will cool down when riding, per the temp gauge readings. Thank you for responding!

Answer: There is a fan assuming yours works. Run the tests I suggest above for a clearer picture of what you have.

Quite honestly, I have two Helixes and I have never heard the fan come on on either but I know they work because I have tested them when I did the coolant flush. I have owned all of the Honda Elite CH 250s 1985-1988 and only have heard their fans come on in extremely hot weather maybe extended standing idling at a stop light. I have two Honda PS 250s and never have heard their fans come on.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Cruiser » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Been riding Helix for ten years, I have three of them! I have never heard the fan run on any!
Cruiser

Postby blipco » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I've owned several and never heard the fan come on.
Also, I have never heard the cracks and pops typical of motorcycles either.
I think you have something wrong. Do the tests zozman has recommended.

My brother had one Helix that overheated on the highway and it turned out to be something clogging the muffler. He replaced it and the problem went away but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.
Check your coolant level. And perhaps your water pump.

You can just remove the nose of the scoot fairly easily once you know how. The body work on this bike is something to behold considering it was done before the advent of CAD.
blipco

Postby pendlemr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 am

Interesting, I will do a full checkup. Regarding taking the front off it seems the rest have to come off before the front panel. I was going to clean the radiator area and it keeps referring to previous steps that basically take all panels off to get to it. If there is a shortcut Id love to hear it!
pendlemr

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Dale Gribble on this forum just did a complete panel paint job on his Helix and have a link about it here.

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3690

Some of his early pictures have been either removed or he was using Photo Bucket and they didn't allow support of other sites.

Read the whole thread and maybe there are some guide lines in his text that can help. Or PM him with your questions.

Good luck.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby blipco » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 pm

pendlemr wrote:Interesting, I will do a full checkup. Regarding taking the front off it seems the rest have to come off before the front panel. I was going to clean the radiator area and it keeps referring to previous steps that basically take all panels off to get to it. If there is a shortcut Id love to hear it!

NO, IT DOES NOT. Only the nose piece needs to come off.
The windshield and mirrors come off and possibly one screw each side in each footwell. (I forget it's been a long time).
There is a tricky spot above the fron tire IIRC. You will see four screws close together...ONLY TWO of those need come out. The other two hold the mud guard.

Like I say, it's tricky but you don't want to mess with any more of that bodywork than need be. Maybe somebody whose done it recently can help out. Like anything, the first time is a PITA. Especially on this bike.

Another thing to watch out for....There are two steel tubes which run the length of the scooter under the floorboards. It's easy to mistake them for frame rails, they are not. They are your coolant lines, so be careful.

It's possible you'll find a rats nest in there. When I bought my present Helix (I rescued the neglected machine from going to the junk yard), there were FOUR nests. One under the nose, one above the trunk beneath the rear vents, one inside the air filter box and one under the dash board.
You have to remove the dash panel to get at the coolant fill hole.

Good luck, do it on a day when you have plenty of patience. Trust me. 8)
blipco

Postby pendlemr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Thank you all so much! I’ll report back in order to help future riders as well! Hope I don’t find any rat nests though, my wife would never ride with me!
pendlemr

Postby pendlemr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Dan_Lockwood wrote:Dale Gribble on this forum just did a complete panel paint job on his Helix and have a link about it here.

Some of his early pictures have been either removed or he was using Photo Bucket and they didn't allow support of other sites.

Read the whole thread and maybe there are some guide lines in his text that can help. Or PM him with your questions.

Good luck.

Thank you sir! The red '98 Helix must have been popular, looks like many on this site. Good info
pendlemr

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:06 pm

pendlemr wrote:
Dan_Lockwood wrote:Dale Gribble on this forum just did a complete panel paint job on his Helix and have a link about it here.

Good luck.

Thank you sir! The red '98 Helix must have been popular, looks like many on this site. Good info

I'm a closet Helix owner. I'm 69 and have been on powered two wheels since I was 14 or so. I've seen my share of weird bike/motorcycles over the many years.

I say I'm a closet owner because mine is still in the garage at the Lake Of The Ozarks of my buddy that I bought it from. I've got three Harleys in my home garage and I really don't have the room at the moment to have it home and he could care less if it's there taking up just a few square feet of floor space.

Here's a link of what I posted way back when. It's also a red '98, but only has 603 miles on it.

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3827

Good luck with your cooling issues.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby GrahamH » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 am

How to remove front panels...….only pictures
http://www.geocities.jp/cn250fusionstyle/tips.html
GrahamH