Foot brake pressure needed to start

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Foot brake pressure needed to start

Postby miranda » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am

Am about to remove small plastic cap on left side of tunnel, near left ankle

To decrease brake downward pressure needed to start engine, which way do I turn that dial?

Thanks. '01 Helix is new to me and takes lots of pressure to start engine.

Jerry
miranda

Re: Foot brake pressure needed to start

Postby GrahamH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 pm

If you type.... 'Rear Brake Depress to make starter activate' into the search you will find directions on how to adjust it...……….GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby zozman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm

[quote="miranda"...To decrease brake downward pressure needed to start engine, which way do I turn that dial?...Jerry[/quote]

A: If you are on the left foot side of the bike and have removed the inspection cap, with a flashlight, you will be able to see a serated round cap. With a screwdriver pushing the top of the cap clockwise toward the foot brake pedal will allow the starter to engage earlier in the brake pedal travel. Pushing the bottom of the cap turns it counter clockwise to put more lead time into the start allowing more foot brake travel.

Caution: This is a starter limit switch/brake light switch all in one and there IS a limit. Turn the cap too much and you get a brake light that is always on. Too little and the brake hits the floor with no start. See manual 3-12.

Here's a tip: With the ignition on but the scooter not running, turn the limiter cap clockwise a little at a time until the rear brake light stays on then back it off counterclockwise until the brake light is always off. Test brake start that the scoot starts and the brake light is off when idling. That's about as good as it gets.

Let the brake start interrupt defeat posts begin.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby miranda » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks zozman. Good info
miranda

Postby G-Dub » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Were you able to adjust it? On mine I couldn't see squat through that tiny hole, much less be able to stick something in there and move it. I did adjust it later when I had all the plastic off for another repair (and bypassed the start switch). But that would be a lot of work just for a switch adjustment. Keep in mind that it is a two-stage switch - I think the brake light comes on first and then the start switch.
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Postby miranda » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 am

G-dub, no, I didn't mess with that screw adj but did back off rear brake adj about 5 clicks. Seems prior owner had tightened up foot brake pedal too much. And I still have recommended foot pedal spacing, so I'm all set.

My next project will be to replace leaking exhaust gasket and crush washer. Wonder if Honda dealerships have crush washers?

Jerry
miranda

Postby G-Dub » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:40 am

Glad you caught that. Unless it's a generic type part that's used for other bikes, I doubt most dealers would stock Helix parts, but couldn't hurt to ask. I buy almost all my Helix-specific parts at Partzilla, or can occasionally find stuff on ebay. Except for things like fluids and variator rollers (I use Dr. Pulley sliders) I pretty much always stick with OEM parts.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... 50-a-helix
-Gary

2007 Helix
SYM HD200
G-Dub

Return to Honda Helix