86 CN 250 hard to start

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby Murray24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 am

I have an 86 CN250 that is extremely hard to start when cold. It runs pretty well after it warms up but when you close the throttle after running down the road, it spits and pops out of the muffler. It seems to accelerate fine when warm and goes along fine at any RPM. When you finally get it started it will chug for a while and then it just catches and will take right off. I purchased a new bi-starter but haven't installed it yet because after reading some of the posts here I'm not sure it will help. I sure would appreciate it someone could point me in the right direction on this.
Murray24
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 am

Re: 86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby wilsongj » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi, you could check the inlet manifold for cracks/splits etc, I don't think they like running weak.
wilsongj
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: Jonzac, Charente Maritime, France

Re: 86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby zozman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 pm

It's nice to know the mileage on the scooter.

1. Rebuild the carburetor.
2. Install the autobystarter (I hope you bought an OEM Honda one).
3. Use fresh gasoline.

Report back results.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: 86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby Murray24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:59 pm

zozman wrote:It's nice to know the mileage on the scooter.

1. Rebuild the carburetor.
2. Install the autobystarter (I hope you bought an OEM Honda one).
3. Use fresh gasoline.

Report back results.

zoz

Mileage is 22,550. Just wondering what you think about the popping noises from the muffler when you close the throttle. Thanks for the quick reply!
Murray24
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 am

Re: 86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby Murray24 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 pm

wilsongj wrote:Hi, you could check the inlet manifold for cracks/splits etc, I don't think they like running weak.

Will do. Thanks!
Murray24
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 am

Re: 86 CN 250 hard to start

Postby zozman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:12 am

Murray24 wrote:
zozman wrote:It's nice to know the mileage on the scooter.

1. Rebuild the carburetor.
2. Install the autobystarter (I hope you bought an OEM Honda one).
3. Use fresh gasoline.

Report back results.

zoz

Mileage is 22,550. Just wondering what you think about the popping noises from the muffler when you close the throttle. Thanks for the quick reply!


Replace the air valve on the carburetor.


zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 am


Return to Honda Helix

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron