Trouble Installing A Cargo Rack

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Trouble Installing A Cargo Rack

Postby E.T.Smith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm

I want to install one of these:

Problem is I have been utterly unable to remove the standard rear grab-bar which will be replaced by the cargo rack. Either I haven't found the right tool to fit the hex nuts, the nuts were stripped by a previous owner, or said previous owner sealed the things on with lock-tite. Focusing on the thing I can address easiest, can someone tell me what size wrench I'm supposed to be using?

Here's an album of up-close pics f the bolts that are frustrating me: https://photos.app.goo.gl/u3qBNjYDkmUeyd8z6
E.T.Smith

Re: Trouble Installing A Cargo Rack

Postby charlie55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Just ran out to the garage to check - metric 6mm hex wrench.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby E.T.Smith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Just ran out to the garage to check - metric 6mm hex wrench.

Thank You.
E.T.Smith

Postby GrahamH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Hopefully the correct size allen key will do the job but as the hex slot looks damaged you may need to get serious with it. Here's what I would do…….

1. Using a socket type 6mm allen key pack paper/plastic?whatever comes to hand, around the key and hammer it into place, undo with an impact driver.
2. Try a 1/4" socket type allen key, hammer it in. You may need to grind it a little to get it started.
3. Now the hole is really bad, find a Torx socket that will just not fit in the hole, hammer it in. This will almost certainly wreck the socket but could get the screw out.
4. Invest in ezi-outs or similar, drill a pilot hole in the setscrew and screw it in, (anticlockwise)
5. Very carefully weld an allen key to the screw head, (dodgy this amongst the plastic parts)

When replacing the screws use some anti seize on the threads so they will come out easier next time.

Unworn allen key sockets and an impact driver is always the best first approach, but don't use it to tighen the screw.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby Av8er » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:35 am

If the Allen wrench doesn’t work, get a Dremel and cut a slot in it. Then use a screwdriver with a square shaft to loosen it using a wrench on the shaft of the screw driver. Easy peasy!
Av8er

Postby E.T.Smith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I just tried applying a 6mm allen key, as charlie55 suggested, and frustratingly it didn't fit (too large). I've gone through several sets of keys previously (both imperial and metric) and could never get a close fit.
E.T.Smith

Postby Av8er » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Try what I said above; it works and is easy.
Av8er

Postby E.T.Smith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Av8er wrote:Try what I said above; it works and is easy.

That assumes I own a dremel, and that I'm up for risking the rubber next to the bolts.
E.T.Smith

Postby E.T.Smith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 pm

I just cracked the problem, literally. The 6mm key had been the only thing that came close to fitting, just a little over-sized, so I grabbed a hammer like GrahamH suggested and tried some forceful tapping. After a just couple hits on each side, the key settled firm and I was able to turn the bolts out. At a guess, a previous owner used an under-sized key on the bolts, probably with a power tool, which malformed the inner heads. Fortunately the rack comes with new bolts.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me figure this out.
E.T.Smith

Postby charlie55 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:15 am

Been both the perpetrator and victim of the "make-do with an almost-right" tool syndrome. It took me many years to learn that the best thing to do is step away, take a deep breath, then make the trip down to the basement to get the tool that I knew I had but was too lazy/impatient to fetch. :lol:
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Return to Honda Helix