Front shocks question

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Front shocks question

Postby stephencd1 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Helix 1993 19,000 miles
Just had a front suspension strip and grease. Caliper rebuild and pads. When I dropped out the front shock absorbers, I checked them for travel and rebound. When I pressed down on them, they hardly moved at all. Both sides had equal travel. It felt like they had a really strong spring in them.
Is this the norm, or should I least get a few inches of travel and rebound?
Looking forward to hearing your comments.
Last edited by stephencd1 on Sun May 26, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephencd1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 am
Location: The Wirral, England UK

Re: Front shocks question

Postby zozman » Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello.

The real question regarding front and rear shocks is (1) What do you as the driver weigh? and (2) If you do two-up riding, how often and at what additional weight for the passenger? and (3) What is the mileage on the bike?

Quite honestly, I changed both front and rear shocks with the Honda OEM shocks at 15K miles on my 97 Helix and haven't seen any noticeable difference in ride or handling. I wondered if changing them was necessary. But, like you, i was changing the brake pads and rebuilding the caliper so I thought it best.

Now, if you splurged and got the Bitubo shocks at their ungodly price, that would definitely be an improvement. I have them on my PS250s. But...there is only one shock there.


zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Front shocks question

Postby stephencd1 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 am

stephencd1 wrote:Helix 1993 19,000 miles
Just had a front suspension strip and grease. Caliper rebuild and pads. When I dropped out the front shock absorbers, I checked them for travel and rebound. When I pressed down on them, they hardly moved at all. Both sides had equal travel. It felt like they had a really strong spring in them.
Is this the norm, or should I least get a few inches of travel and rebound?
Looking forward to hearing your comments.


Thanks Mrs\Mr zoz but above is the actual question. Nothing to do weight, pillions, starsigns or fish.
Anyway, anyone stripped the front end of a Helix?
stephencd1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 am
Location: The Wirral, England UK

Re: Front shocks question

Postby zozman » Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 am

stephencd1 wrote:Anyway, anyone stripped the front end of a Helix?


Yes.


zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Front shocks question

Postby stephencd1 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:25 am

zozman wrote:
stephencd1 wrote:Anyway, anyone stripped the front end of a Helix?


Yes.


zoz

I get the feeling this going to take a long time
stephencd1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 am
Location: The Wirral, England UK

Re: Front shocks question

Postby GrahamH » Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 am

Stephen,

You were quick to find a Helix, pray tell us about it.

Re shocks, I have also rebuilt the front end of a Helix and if I remember correctly the standard shocks do seem very stiff off the bike. The suspension travel is not great so this would seem to be correct. However, I have ridden three Helixes and for me the suspension was always way too soft. One of the best upgrades is to replace the front and back shocks with Hagon units, the Bitubo shocks are probably better but as ZOZ says they are very expensive.

GrahamH
User avatar
GrahamH
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:31 am
Location: Halifax England

Re: Front shocks question

Postby stephencd1 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am

GrahamH wrote:Stephen,

You were quick to find a Helix, pray tell us about it.

Re shocks, I have also rebuilt the front end of a Helix and if I remember correctly the standard shocks do seem very stiff off the bike. The suspension travel is not great so this would seem to be correct. However, I have ridden three Helixes and for me the suspension was always way too soft. One of the best upgrades is to replace the front and back shocks with Hagon units, the Bitubo shocks are probably better but as ZOZ says they are very expensive.

GrahamH


Hi Graham H
You can read all about it here; http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22716
I didn't want to go up the Hagon route due to costs, but I'm contemplating the CB360\400 route for the rear (so I'll have a spare new shock to sell at some point) Trying to work out what shock I can use on the other side. Will be easier when I strip the back end off and measure up.
Stevie
stephencd1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 am
Location: The Wirral, England UK


Return to Honda Helix

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: garyloos and 0 guests