Lesson Re-learned

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Lesson Re-learned

Postby charlie55 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:37 pm

'Red October' had been idling a little rough and getting a little greedy for fuel ever since I brought it out of it's winter hibernation a few weeks ago. So I decided to do some basic stuff today. The plug looked a little sooty but not bad at all, so I cleaned and re-gapped it. I then went to take a look at the air filter. I was shocked when I removed the airbox cover and the filter just fell out. The bracket ends were still bolted to the airbox, but the rest of the bracket had broken into pieces with stress fractures in 3 separate places. Then I remembered hearing a tin can-like rattling a couple of weeks ago after hitting a small bump, so I guess that's when it let go.I didn't think much of it at the time as I have stuff in the trunk that sometimes sounds like that when jolted. The kicker is that I always, always, always use OEM parts from my local dealer - except this one time. This was an aftermarket filter that I bought on Ebay because I was in a hurry at the time and didn't want to wait for the dealer to get one. So, ordered a new OEM replacement today and patched up the busted filter brackets with sheet metal screws, scrap metal, chewing gum, spit, etc. Looks like crap, but should be good for the few days it takes to get the new one:

I hereby swear that from this point forward I will only use OEM parts, even if the kids have to go without food for a few days. After all, priorities is priorities, right? :lol:
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Re: Lesson Re-learned

Postby zozman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 pm

I aways use Honda OEM parts purchased from a authorized Honda dealer.

For the last two Honda Helix air filters-17214-KS4-010-the bracket had to be squeezed in my vise to get the bracket adjusted so that mounting hole for the screw lined up with the attachment post in the air box. I mean no matter what I did, the screw woulldn't line up so I could install it.

The bracket never broke like yours, but even the OEM Honda part needed "minor fabrication" to install! :lol:

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby charlie55 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Before installing the OEM replacement filter this weekend, I took some time to compare it to the knockoff. It was noticeably heavier, the pleating of the filtering element was more uniform, and the gasket that seals it to the air tube was much more robust. Unlike Zoz, I only needed to do a little hand adjustment of the bracket in order to get everything to line up snugly. Idle has smoothed out and fuel economy is getting back to normal.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 am

Had this happen to 2 OEM filters
Richard

Return to Honda Helix