DIY Exhaust. The Gil Edition..

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

DIY Exhaust. The Gil Edition..

Postby GIl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 am

I'm working on my DIY exhaust, as my stock one is starting to leak throw rusted out holes. Its turning out pretty good. My buddy is going to weld it for me.

I'm using a Muffler from a 400cc Yamaha ATV. I bought it for 25 dollars, it was mint condition.
I got a new OEM exhaust manifold for 25usd and $73 dollars in Mild steel piping.
I got two 1 5/8" OD pipe, two 1 1/4" OD pipe and one adapter pipe from 1 1/4" to 1 5/8" piping.

I cut the piping with my Dremel cutting tool.
The mild steel is pretty soft and easy to cut.
Hopefully we will be done by the end of the week.

here are some pics..

Gil
Last edited by GIl on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIl

Postby Cruiser » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:38 am

So far $123.00 invested? I take it you enjoy doing things like this?
Cruiser

Postby byeway » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:21 am

AWESOME!
Please keep up the photo-history so we can follow the whole project!
Byeway Bill
byeway

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:36 am

Rats! Here I am at work doing work related research :roll: and my computer won't let me see the pics. Guess I'll have to take my work home with me again!
Mutt dogs are the best!
Dennis

Postby Cruiser » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 am

I read somewhere that the size of the outlet pipe is the key to not having to retune the Helix. What are your plans there?
Cruiser

Postby slonaker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Cruiser wrote:So far $123.00 invested? I take it you enjoy doing things like this?

Isn't that still about 1/3 the cost of a new factory muffler? This is pretty much what I plan to do if mine ever rusts out, but I want to use a muffler closer to the size of the original.

Cruiser wrote:I read somewhere that the size of the outlet pipe is the key to not having to retune the Helix. What are your plans there?

I would just use a round piece of sheetmetal with a hole in it the same size as the exit on the stock muffler (think in terms of a large washer), welded into the new setup at some point to restrict it down to the right diameter.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cruiser » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm

I am watching this because I took the leap and bought one of these a couple weeks ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-OE ... ccessories
Of course mine being a 2006 it may be years before I need a muffler. :roll:
Cruiser

Postby slonaker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

That is probably a Chinese clone muffler at that price, especially since the seller sells Helix accessories on ebay. Reports on here have been that they rust out quickly. Does it appear to be an actual Honda part (Honda part number, stickers, packaging)?

If it is a clone muffler, I would say that the seller is being deceptive by calling it OEM. If it is not an actual Honda part, it isn't OEM.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 pm

slonaker wrote:That is probably a Chinese clone muffler at that price, especially since the seller sells Helix accessories on ebay. Reports on here have been that they rust out quickly. Does it appear to be an actual Honda part (Honda part number, stickers, packaging)?

If it is a clone muffler, I would say that the seller is being deceptive by calling it OEM. If it is not an actual Honda part, it isn't OEM.

Patrick

You are so right Patrick. There are so many parts for sale out there that are described as "oem replacement" or "built to oem specs". Yeah, right. Quality control goes right out the door. For every person that says they had a quality part that gave good service there are 50 who will never buy again.
Mutt dogs are the best!
Dennis

Postby GIl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm

My goal for this exhaust is to increase my top end power a bit,
I would like a bit more top speed. And, yes I do like modifying things I own.

Cruiser you are most likely right. This muffler came with a silencer with a Internal diameter of 15mm, stock is 19mm.
Without the silencer the exit is 41mm. Ill try running it with the silencer and see if will be o.k.
I have a zetronix wideband tool that reads the Air/fuel ratios, exhaust gas temperature, and reads the RPM of the engine. Ill use it to tune the carburator.
It will hopefully make it easier to adjust the jets.

This is the silencer.

The 73USD in piping can be much less.
Each U bend is 10USD and the size adapter was 12USD.
So, if i bought the only the parts that I used from the
same distributor it would of bin closer to 45USD(with shipping) in piping.. Live and learn I guess..
I would recommend getting all the Piping and adapter from this website.
https://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

Gil
Last edited by GIl on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIl

Postby slonaker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks for the link, GIl. I need to do some exhaust work on my pickup and the coupe, and they seem to have the stuff I need.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby GIl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 am

slonaker wrote:Thanks for the link, GIl. I need to do some exhaust work on my pickup and the coupe, and they seem to have the stuff I need.

Patrick

I am glad I helped.
GIl
GIl

Postby injuhneer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Cruiser wrote:I read somewhere that the size of the outlet pipe is the key to not having to retune the Helix. What are your plans there?

The key to not re-tuning is flow and back pressure.

In basic terms the same diameter outlet will keep the same back pressure provided the internal flow resistance of the muffler is equal.

By the same token a complex muffler with high resistance to flow (lots of turbulence) could have a larger exhaust diameter and still provide the same back pressure as flow builds.

What would be useful is to cut open and OEM muffler to see the internal structure.
injuhneer

Update

Postby GIl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:05 pm

My buddy welded the downpipe and a bit on the muffler bracket.
So far so good, just working on the muffler bracket. Its taking longer than i expected.
here are some pics..

Hope is not to many pictures.

GIl
Last edited by GIl on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIl

Postby slonaker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:54 am

That looks pretty good... :)

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Honda Helix