Muffler Gasket

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Muffler Gasket

Postby vponder » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Question for the muffler experts, how long is the gasket that is hard to work with, the one thats about 15.00. Since my bike is down waiting on parts I was thinking of taking off the muffler and repainting it and have an idea about the gasket that screws up so easy. I 've seen a pic of it but cant tell . Vince ( triple digits south Georgia) HOT HOT HOT
vponder

Postby Bandit240 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Its not to hard to put in. I just did it on my helix.
Bandit240

Postby creighta » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:58 am

It just looks like a big warsher. It is about 1 1/4" around and 1/4" thick. I don't know the corect method, but I put mine in and tightened it, then I let the bike run a while and tightened it again to be sure it was not leaking.

The dealer here told me that those gaskets go bad frequently and overtightening them can break them, but mine seems to be fairing well with 700 miles on it.
creighta

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:28 am

creighta wrote:It just looks like a big warsher. It is about 1 1/4" around and 1/4" thick. I don't know the corect method, but I put mine in and tightened it, then I let the bike run a while and tightened it again to be sure it was not leaking.

The dealer here told me that those gaskets go bad frequently and overtightening them can break them, but mine seems to be fairing well with 700 miles on it.

That sounds like the manifold gasket? There is very little reason to remove it.
The one most talked about here is the tube shaped one that goes on the end of the muffler. That one needs to be removed every time a rear tire is changed.
Cruiser

Postby vponder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:32 am

creighta wrote:It just looks like a big warsher. It is about 1 1/4" around and 1/4" thick. I don't know the corect method, but I put mine in and tightened it, then I let the bike run a while and tightened it again to be sure it was not leaking.

The reason I was asking I was thinking of trying a piece of copper water pipe that was close to the same dia, but spliting down the middle and stagging that split with the other, its the same as the other guy did on a post on page 15 I think when he turned a sleeve on a lathe.I guess it depends on how close I can get the pipe to fit, I was thinking to I may add a stainless heater hose clamp to help the factory clamp I know my bolt on that clamp is rusty so I'm going to replace that with a stainless steel bolt so it won't rust over Thanks for your input Vince
vponder

Postby vponder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:00 am

Cruiser wrote:

That sounds like the manifold gasket? There is very little reason to remove it.
The one most talked about here is the tube shaped one that goes on the end of the muffler. That one needs to be removed every time a rear tire is changed.
Yes I was refiring to the tube shaped gasket I would like to know the measurements on that one (roughly) Vince
vponder

Postby zero » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 am

Length 25.45mm
Outside diameter 34.60mm
Inside diameter 28.75mm

(I got a spare ;) )

What is useful for any gaps is silicone bathroom sealant. The silicone can of course withstand the high temperatures no problem.
zero

Postby Alarmnbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 am

i have used copper mesh before. It can be found in the craft store. It was 7.99 so it was really not cost effective so I just bought a few of the gaskets.
You can get them on Helixparts.com for 7.90 plus shipping. I bought three and the shipping was only $1.73 for all three.
YOU REALLY CAN'T BEAT IT!

Alarmnbob

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:59 am

Cruiser

Postby answs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 am

Has anyone tried using only layers of copper foil as a muffler gasket?
answs

Postby byeway » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:48 pm

My suggestion: give it up, buy the OEM gasket!

Remember that this is the highest temperature outside the actual combustion chamber itself; I'd guess that gasket sees about 850-F to 900-F at high speeds. Look up the properties of copper and aluminum at those temperatures!

I don't know what the Honda gasket is made of, but it resists that heat at fairly high pulsating pressure. This ain't no easy design criteria!
Byeway Bill
byeway

Postby Cruiser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I have been reuseing my gasket with success. I wet it with water in the theory that a film of rust will form to help seal it! It works for a few tire changes. And be very easy with the removal and replacement.
Cruiser

Postby crazychile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm with Alarmnbob on this one. keep a few handy. I always used to discount the importance of the gasket, (the old one seemed OK) but when I changed mine last year my gas mileage went up a little bit. I don't know what they make the stuff out of, but when I dug out the old one with a screwdriver, it looked like ultra-compressed steel wool. Or maybe thats just what was left of it.

BTW, thanks for the cheap source of gaskets. I'd been paying $10-11 for mine in the past.

crazychile
crazychile

Postby Cruiser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Cruiser

Ha Ha!

Postby AussieHelix » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 am

So it's $11 when its IN stock and $8 when its OUT of STOCK! I love it. Here I think my dealer quoted $20 and Aussie $$ now EQUAL to USA $.

Thanks for the exact dimensions guys this will help me in constructing a replacement out of.....muffler tape or.....!!???

Ron in Brisbane
AussieHelix

Next

Return to Honda Helix